about LongHorn

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
Microsoft showed off this week some of the beef to expect in Longhorn.

Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates gave computer makers a brief look at Longhorn, but acknowledged that many of its key features will not be evident until much later test versions of the new Windows. A fraction of the new features will make it into an initial beta this summer. Microsoft wouldn't say when the subsequent beta with more new features will arrive, but Gates said the company is still focused on trying to release the final version of Longhorn in time to make it into PCs sold for the holiday season in 2006.

The company demonstrated a new XML-based document format, code-named "Metro," that it will use in Longhorn to both print and share documents.

Among other features Gates discussed was the ability of PCs running Longhorn to take advantage of storage that combines traditional hard drives and nonvolatile flash memory. By using flash for frequently accessed information, laptop PCs will be able to get much better battery life given that substantially less power is used accessing flash than is needed to spin a hard drive.

Laptops are also expected to benefit from the addition of a "mobility center" that will serve as a single control panel for all manner of laptop-related settings. The concept is similar to the Security Center that Microsoft added to Windows XP with Service Pack 2. Microsoft also detailed a broader effort to add touch-screen abilities to Longhorn-era laptops. Mitchell demonstrated the way that finger-based input could be added to traditional laptops, as well as to Tablet PC machines that allow for stylus input.

On the responsiveness front, Microsoft is inching toward its goal of replicating the "instant-on" experience customers have become used to with consumer electronics. When a laptop user pushes the power button in Windows XP, it goes into a near-shutdown "hibernate" state in which all information is saved onto the hard drive. With Longhorn, the default will be to keep the same information in memory, a so-called "suspend" state that uses somewhat more battery power, but allows for quicker resume times.

Although Microsoft is recommending that computers be pretty modern to fully run the next version of Windows, Longhorn will probably also run on a good number of older machines. However, Longhorn is going to look and run quite differently on older systems.

Computers with a 3GHz processor and 512MB of memory, for example, will get all of the bells and whistles including fancy graphics and the ability to handle multiple video streams. According to its early testing, Microsoft says that older PCs--probably those with as little as 128MB of memory--will be able to run Longhorn, but the OS may not look like it does on a newer, more powerful machine.

wht are your views about the future of longhorn???

I hear that longhorn vs windows xp have not been much different except longhorn happen to have a great lots of bugs and is monthly maintain just like windows xp which service pack 2 provide a better security against their flaws. I myself never get to try longhorn coz I heard is seriously unstable and might keep crashing your computer.

sorry for bad english

this is taken from this website
hxxp://news.com.com/This+week+in+Longhorn/2100-1016_3-5689773.html

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
You have to understand something, Longhorn is in the pre-alpha to beta stage which is to say it still has alot of bugs. I my self am running Ms Xp Pro and Codename : Longhorn on the same system, sharing the same hard drive and both on the internet fully secure.

Although Longhorn has alot of bugs still left in it ...these will be all ironed out in the upcoming releases. The build I run is striaght from MS and is build : 4074 . In the last couple of months alone Longhorn has had alot of changes to it ...and in my opinion if your not familiar with the way software or operating systems run WAIT until LOnghorn is released in full

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
Hi bigguy,

I want to ask you more question about these, would longhorn be a shareware or a freeware currently now I noe its freeware but once its is full released would it be a shareware??

My instincts telling me that it would be a shareware paid software but not sure since firefox can be a free because they made some money through donations and shop selling of gifts that is sufficient for them to continue developing firefox wht about LongHorn???

Do you have a main website with the offical beta of LongHorn ??? can you post it here so that I can refer to it , feeling like test running it even though there's bug :hug:

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Longhorn has never been nor will it ever be shareware or freeware. Like I said it is in pre-apha to beta stage ...which means its still in testing. Right now it is released to developers and companys of that sort for testing basically. Currnet builds you find on the net will not be the original from MS. ( Unless it comes from a highly reputable source)

I am currently running Ms Codename LongHorn build 4074. At this moment I am looking into being able to distribute this copy ...but nothing is confirmed about that and I dont know when or if it will be

EDIT: current release is build 5048 I do believe.:noexpress

n4tec

Reaction score
i heard about a way to collect tools used in the making of longhorn!!! And then you make ur own Longhorn!!! Lognhorn is ok!!!

*4*

CheetahShrk

Reaction score
Longhorn Build 4074 is about a 10,000 builds old lol.

nforchange, what you just said made no sense at all, Longhorn is created from a base which is so complex only coding experts can understand all of it.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Actually there is only one build out after 4074 so it is NOT an old build. The new build # is posted in theis thread I do believe

Tyler

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Where can I get Ms Codename LongHorn? I reallly want to try it, so I will install it on my older computer (well not that old, just dont use it as much)

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Get a hold of me Tyler ...we`ll see what we can do for you

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
I can't wait till LongHorn! I want to be the first to buy it but.....the price...l

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Yeah I think it is going to be pretty expensive for the first little bit

trev

Prime Account
Reaction score
what kind of system do u need to run ur build of ms longhorn bigguy?

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Currently I`m am running for a main rig :

1.7 gig Amd Sempron
K7S41GX motherboard
770 mbs ddr ram
gforcefx 128 mb Nvidia grfx
120 gig western digital harddrive
dvd dul layer burner
16x dvd rom
450 watt safe powere power supply

The better grfx you have the better it is going to look ...as Longhorn is very grfx heavy
This runs Longhorn very nicely :grin:

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
Currently I`m am running for a main rig :

Quote:
1.7 gig Amd Sempron
K7S41GX motherboard
770 mbs ddr ram
gforcefx 128 mb Nvidia grfx
120 gig western digital harddrive
dvd dul layer burner
16x dvd rom
450 watt safe powere power supply

The better grfx you have the better it is going to look ...as Longhorn is very grfx heavy
This runs Longhorn very nicely

wow what a nice pc for a alpha beta that's cool. How i wish I can play with longhorn :sad:

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
The reqirements for Longhorn are not that extensive though. If you want all the grfx features like the glass theme and all the bells and whistles to work then you need to go big for grfx. My 128 is not big enough but a 256 mb video card would be