access denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

batorude

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a problem. When I try to access my site at batorudesign.elementfx.com, I receive a "403 Forbidden" notification although I can access my site through winscp.Anyone knows what's the reason for this?

Best!

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I logged into the server and took a peek; your permissions are seriously messed up. They are set to 777 on all files and folders which, with poorly coded scripts (and some well-coded ones) is a security risk - the server automatically throws a "403 Forbidden" in this instance.

You'll need to do a permissions change; folders should be at 755 and no higher, files at 644. This should resolve the 403 error, along with adding some extra security to the site. With 777 permissions, a wider range of scripting exploits/hacks become possible - we get enough of these on 755/644 as it is, so the server is set up to help protect itself by denying 777 as a valid permission set for now.

batorude

Reaction score
Thank you for the answer!
Everything is ok now. The initial configuration was exactly as you stated (755 for folders and 644 for files) but I began to receive this 403 warning after I tried to synchronize the remote project with the one on my localhost (for this I used Netbeans 7.2.1). I granted the 777 permission to files and folders afterwards in order to have complete access without taking into consideration any security reasons but the issue remained...

All the best!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.