Account Suspension - TOS and AUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

hofheins

Reaction score
It looks like my account has been suspended. The suspension type listed is "Administrative Suspension" for violating the TOS and/or AUP. I was going to request an appeal, but it said I only get 1 shot, so I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I request.

I don't know specifically why my account was suspended. I have a couple of personal websites (my wifes WP blog, my personal site, and a site about my family name), and have never recieved this type of suspension in the past. The only suspensions I have recieved were for not logging into the portal often enough.

I am hoping to get more information on the specific reason for the suspension. Any violation of the TOS and/or AUP are absolutely non-intentional on my part, and I will do whatever is needed to correct the situation. I'm not a pro-web site guy, and doubt I could intentionally violate the TOS or AUP even if I wanted too.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-TS

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on what the system's telling me it was for high CPU and MySQL utilization to the point that it was degrading the integrity of the hosting service. It's not a permanent suspension, although I got in touch with the admin who had suspended it, and they don't remember the details on exactly which part of it was causing issues (processes or a specific script).

I'm processing the unsuspension, however you'll want to run through and see if there's any unused software on the account that might be the target of bots (there's a phpBB install that isn't in use I noticed), along with running cleanups on any software that is in use to ensure it's up-to-date, and any plugins you don't need are off.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Bit more information; based on the MySQL activity it looks like it's the Drupal install that's at least part of the issue. Some of the queries being ran are taking a significant amount of time to process (between 3-10 seconds), so if the page gets a bunch of views at once, it quickly bogs down. I'd recommend pruning the install for old posts and other stale data to try and minimize this.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
And one more final update for now; the drupal install is definitely the cause of the server's performance degredation. At the time of this writing it had MySQL upwards of 300% cpu usage on its own.

To prevent us from having to apply another suspension, I've moved your drupal folder to a non-web-accessible folder in public_html_offline; after doing this, the mysql usage on the server plummeted to below 25% instantly, along with the server's overall load stabilizing just as fast. I don't recommend putting these files back live again without checking into the database and removing any stale/old data, as it's clear something inside the database is effectively killing the server.

That said, I have not modified the database in any way, but with how much CPU the drupal install is using, it's beyond what Premium hosting could handle as well. If the database can't be cleaned up or repaired so it doesn't take so long to run a basic query, this would need to either be moved to a VPS or a dedicated server due to the level of CPU usage it currently requires.

hofheins

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I'll probably just remove the drupal site completely, and start from scratch. Didn't really like drupal much anyway :)

Thanks again!

hiveserv

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I'll probably just remove the drupal site completely, and start from scratch. Didn't really like drupal much anyway :)

Thanks again!

What are your needs from the site?, I have used WordPress for just about any site for a long time now and it does everything from blogs to small business websites depending how you set it up. Wordpress I believe has one of the lowest resource consumption rates around for any blog site and it can scale easily in any direction.

Check out mine for an example on how I turned a blog install into a main website.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.