admin access denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishdept

Reaction score
How can I regain my administrative privileges in a Moodle Web site? I have been consistently denied access to administrative functions, though I appear as administrator.

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
have you made any changes to the website?

is there a 'I forgot my password' button you can use?

englishdept

Reaction score
I will try the "forgot my password button"
I am new at this and I may have made changes that caused the problem.
Is there anyone out there that can go in and restore my administrative functions?

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Ahhh, in moodle. You can change the password in mysql, just find the table with all of the user data, find your admin name/number in that list, and then under password, it will say a hashed version of the set one you had. Just enter a plain text password here, and change the option to plain from MD5-and it should update after a few minutes.

englishdept

Reaction score
I'm quite new at this, so I went to my account panel, clicked mysql and got to two lists: one with a data base list and another to check that list (nothing similar to what you say here), also add databases, users, etc. Nowhere did I find the "table with all of the user data, find your admin name/number in that list," the first step in trying to solve my problem.
Where should I go? Thank you for your help!

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
Are you in phpmyadmin???

Click on your database on left. Then browser the table which have the name user.
In that table you will see the password entry..

If you don`t know about this all don`t do anything. It will take you into more problems.

Try to find the forgot your password option.

Also post you site link.

Last edited:

englishdept

Reaction score
OK, now I'm getting somewhere!
Username: is right.
Password: a really long alphanumeric
Email: is right
Now, what should I do to change the password so I can get in again as administrator.
Or maybe the problem lies with the functions open to the administrator? Maybe I goofed there.
Thank you so much for your help!!!

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
How have you done that? Using phpmyadmin, or with the password reset thing?
Edit:
Because, the really long alphanumeric could be the hashed password, so you'll need to enter a new one, as the hashed password is not actually the password.

Last edited:

englishdept

Reaction score
I changed the alphanumeric & saved. The new password appears on main user page table.
But I couldn't use it to gain access to the web site! I couldn't gain access either with the
old password, the one that was not allowing me administrative functions, but did allow me
into the site. I think I'm drowning!

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Is the field set to "hash" or "MD5"? If so you need to change it to plain or something meaning the same-there should be a drop down menu when you edit the field.

englishdept

Reaction score
Field just says password and varchar 32 and I can't change that. What I can change is the column marked functions, but most of the things in the drop down menu I don't understand: BIN CHAR, MD5, password, old password, etc. ...there are about 20 possibilities. What would be "plain" or something similar?

Thanks for sticking by me!

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
What are the options?

I would probably just try them all, to be honest. Start with password, and go from there.

And, it's okay. We're here to help :).

englishdept

Reaction score
OK, I can access the site once again (MD5 worked). However, my administration priviliges are still gone. I accessed the role tables on my moodle database, but I can't figure out how to do it. I can't put together administrator(me)-all administrative functions.
Is this the way to go? Is there anything else I can try? On the user table my name does appear as administrator, I did change the password in case that was the problem, but nothing. Maybe the problem is I somehow eliminated the functions of the administrator! Thank you once again. I'm trying to fix this before my classes on Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.