Advertisement Pop-Up shock! "No ads"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Dow

Reaction score
Problem solved. Mods might as well close this thread.

CHILL OUT - PROBLEM IDENTIFIED - MODS MIGHT AS WELL CLOSE THIS THREAD THANKS! :cool:

Hi I just started my website up for the first time and to my dismay I saw a Pop-up advertisement appear - "popular screensavers" as it happens. :happysad:

Am I not on a "no advertisement" package then? :dunno:

I'm

http://scot.exofire.net

though I don't have the website ready as yet I would like to know the position with regard to advertisements.

Are there alternative options - such as designed in ads?

My site was hosted here last year but I can't remember the rules here or if I had ads last year?

But I thought I saw "no advertisements"

100% Free Hosting
Yes there it is = "No Advertisments required"
Well someone should tell the server because it just popped up an ad without so much as a "by your leave". :eek4:

Last edited:

Linkz0rs

Reaction score
No advert appeared when I visited your site.
It's a possibility you may have adware, or the ad came from another site your visiting.

Peter Dow

Reaction score
I have missing pages.

No advert appeared when I visited your site.
It's a possibility you may have adware, or the ad came from another site your visiting.
Sorry I didn't mean you to test the link I gave sorry. That wasn't where I saw the ad. No, that page is OK.

I think I see the problem but what I am guessing from you is that there is not supposed to be an ad if your website is normal, right?

OK but only part of my website is up at the moment and I have missing parts.

Check this link and you will see the ad

http://scot.exofire.net/forfreeset.htm

It looks to be popping up because on the forum webpage I have an <IFRAME> statement and the embedded page is not uploaded yet the missing page is being substituted by an advert page and that is what is causing the pop up.

OK I think I see the problem. :cool:

I don't think it is IDEAL to put in advertisements when missing pages are served but then I guess x10hosting have to make their money somehow, right?

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Please make sure that you upload an index page to your site. If this isn't done within a week or so, you might get suspended for having no site.

EDIT: Sorry, my mistake! Welcome to x10hosting. :)

Last edited:

Linkz0rs

Reaction score
Re: I have missing pages.

Check this link and you will see the ad

http://scot.exofire.net/forfreeset.htm
I still see no ad, even after turning off my content filter.

It looks to be popping up because on the forum webpage I have an <IFRAME> statement and the embedded page is not uploaded yet the missing page is being substituted by an advert page and that is what is causing the pop up.
A frame should not in any way be responsible for causing popups unless the page its linked to has some kind of popup script.

Peter Dow

Reaction score
Please make sure that you upload an index page to your site. If this isn't done within a week or so, you might get suspended for having no site.
As you were Lieutenant. I just got my account started today. :cool:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score

A frame should not in any way be responsible for causing popups unless the page its linked to has some kind of popup script.

I do see the ads.

Apparently the frame tries to call a page on x10 which does not exist.
The default 404 Not Found page on x10 does generate popups (which is why you should make your own custom 404, 403, 500, etc error pages)

Peter Dow

Reaction score

Well I don't know why you can't see the pop-up - maybe you are suppressing pop-ups on your PC, or your browser is suppressing pop-ups.

Look try this -
http://scot.exofire.net/nosuchpage.htm

no such page, OK, so do you see the 404 Error / advert page - that also pops up an advert if your PC/browser is allowing pop-ups.

Peter Dow

Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys - it is cool

I do see the ads.

Apparently the frame tries to call a page on x10 which does not exist.
The default 404 Not Found page on x10 does generate popups (which is why you should make your own custom 404, 403, 500, etc error pages)

That's an idea - my own 404 error page - but when I have finished uploading my site I don't expect too many 404 missing page errors so I am cool. Thanks guys. :cool:

Linkz0rs

Reaction score
Ah yes, now that you mention it I do infact have a popup filter on my Security Gateway Appliance... Lulz, my bad :rolleyes: :lol:

Peter Dow

Reaction score
No need to apologise

EDIT: Sorry, my mistake! Welcome to x10hosting. :)
That's an easy mistake to make because I am returning and restarting a site here after being away for a year or so. :)

Last edited:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Re: Thanks for your help guys - it is cool

That's an idea - my own 404 error page - but when I have finished uploading my site I don't expect too many 404 missing page errors so I am cool. Thanks guys. :cool:

There are always tipos. Either you or a user.

Peter Dow

Reaction score
Re: Thanks for your help guys - it is cool

There are always tipos. Either you or a user.
Yes well that is another thing to add to my to-do list.

OK guys I have thanked you all for your posts and I think we can draw a line under this thread now. Thanks. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.