advertising suggestions welcome

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
IMHO take down the site before the legal department at the BBC finds out.
This will not improve visitor numbers but it will save you from a huge fine.

PS: the waffle about EU cross border trade restrictions was a nice touch
but is not relevant in your case. Technically what you are doing is Smuggling
data illegally across borders.

steve-vcast

Reaction score
I came here on the understanding that I would get some vital information back about my website usability.
But instead, I'm bewildered by your comments, which suggest you didn't even view the website for longer than a couple of minutes. I take this as an insult.

However I do appreciate that you took the time to visit my site, but your main point is completely wrong. We do not stream from our servers, we do not smuggle data, we do not transfer any type of data
We provide legal subscriptions to TV services inside the EU.
Everything we do is 100% legal and above board. I take your comment as one of an individual that has no clue about anything related to tv providers and EU trade law.
Like I said we do not provide proxy, we do not provide VPN, all our data is transferred from the originating provider direct to the client.
We do not intercept data, or relay data, or transfer data. We are agents who provide an address and account information for the tv providers in the respective countries of origin.

This reply is by no means a witch hunt to anyone who doesn't understand what we do. I apologise if I sound abrupt, or have directed any anger at you. We know what we provide, and know its legal, we have been trading in the tv industry for many years selling satellite subscription packages around the world. This is nothing new for us, viacast.co.uk has been a success since launch

What we are after in our reviews, is for someone to tell us what we could change, and where we could change it, as this website was launched in a rush due to popular demand. We used to run a website that had 55,000 subscribers that paid us yearly, so we know how to make money online and the legality's involved.

I appreciate any reviews about usability.

Kind Regards.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Lol don't get your knickers in a twist and stop splitting hairs you're running a DNS server to circumvent country restrictions and that's bound to royally kick somebodys legal department right off on one screaming copyright and distribution rights infringement.

Anyhow you asked about Adverts, Useability and generally getting more bodies in the door...
Well it's joomla template for the most part (ja-mendozite) so the layout is quite reasonable and the CMS backend is not known for its vulnerabilities like Wordpress.

I particularly like that the live chat buttons dump the user into an email contact form out of normal business hours though it is a bit odd given that your other company boasts somebody will answer the phone 24/7 so tying the two to together would be a nice touch.

Plain text testimonials are seldom perceived as genuine even when they honestly are and personally I like to use a photograph with a caption eg: Landlord of pub shaking hands with somebody in a company polo shirt. This lends itself to a bit more respectable credibility, publicans being typically well known members of local communities and a trusted by their regulars who will definitely be interested in having this service at home. Social networking links would be a good addition and once you have a toehold in there punters will come from far and wide.

Photos of the company premises, offices, staff and company vehicles where applicable along with the registered trading address and VAT information for those who still prefer to pay by cheque & registered mail also help build user confidence. In this day and age there is no excuse for borrowing images for 'illustrative' purposes even when the site is under construction and definitely NOT a good idea for a finished website like this one from your other site that's also allegedly the interior of a warehouse in Cheshire yet curiously identical but not surprising as the building itself appears dimensionally unstable and has a part time job as a self storage facility in Somerset here

Videos... why are they hosted on Vimeo? the site cannot take up much web space and it would look more professional if you hosted them yourself.

As for adverts nothing screams desperate! more loudly than adverts on a site providing a service in return for a subscription fee, even in the forum area the users will not appreciate them nor as a pre-amble or pop-up/under whatever before accessing the service. However with control of the DNS theoretically you could swap in your own adverts on other peoples web sites by re-routing the advertising providers URL the same way you do for your clients. (Where no adverts exist things like twitter and social networking iframes could be re-tasked) Would be a complete pig to code mind and far simpler to do with a proxy but not impossible.