Advice on self-hosting e-mail

eN0ch

Reaction score
Hope this is the right forum for this question; apologies if not ...

Looking for some advice, warnings, whatever ..

I've had a premium account with mail.com for my primary e-mail address for a decade. It's been first rate until late last year, when it was taken over by AOL and moved to their servers. Now it's just pathetic, unreliable, etc – and support requests disappear into a bottomless pit. So I've had enough – especially considering I pay for it.

Looking for alternatives, and had a thought – which I'm hoping some of you techno types might be able to offer some wisdom on. I couldn't be happier with my (paid) premium hosting account here on x10 - and the support is fantastic. So I'm wondering about hosting my primary e-mail on my own x10 account, with my own domain. I'd want to access it primarily by IMAP on my macbook & iphone.

I'm not really a geek; but from what I've read so far it looks like it should be easy enough. I've so far managed to navigate around cpanel for various things pretty well.

What I guess I'm asking is are there any potential pitfalls with running my primary personal e-mail that way? (As distinct from using either my local ISP (in Australia) or a dedicated mail provider.) Or anything else anyone thinks I should know, consider, etc before embarking on such a course.

TIA

eN0ch

Reaction score
Someone on another forum suggested FastMail as an alternative. Can anyone comment whether that would be a better idea than self-hosting on x10?

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Someone on another forum suggested FastMail as an alternative. Can anyone comment whether that would be a better idea than self-hosting on x10?

In my own opinion, I recommend Google Apps Standard. It's free and works just like the regular Gmail with 7+ GB of storage.

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html

Hosting mail with a third party service has the advantage of saving resources on the server as the mails won't count toward your inode count.

This thread should probably be in Computers and Technology, not Review My Site.

Last edited:

eN0ch

Reaction score
Well that makes three recommendations for Google Apps from different sources. Sounds like I'd better check it out :) Thanks.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
*****Thread Moved to Computers & Technology*****
I've used Google Apps in the past and really liked it. Plus, you can create a lot of accounts for your domain.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I've got Google Apps and Windows Live Domains (or whatever they're called now...). Must admit, the Windows Live one does look nicer.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I've used Google Apps and self hosted, I deffo prefer Google Apps.

~Callum