allow_url_fopen = On

Status
Not open for further replies.

odysseyinsurance

Reaction score
Hi there,

I read on the forums that
allow_url_fopen = On
was taken off a long time ago (I seen requests back in august 09) and I was wondering if this was ever going to be turned back on or if it's permanent? :( if so that's a shame but would be nice to know... I only seen posts about it off because of a dos attack

all the best :biggrin:

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
You are right. It is off from a long time...

I think it is permanently off. Well staff member will better explain you about this

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
You are right. It is off from a long time...

I think it is permanently off.

Then explain why

PHP:
<?php
echo ini_get( 'allow_url_fopen' ) ;

?>

displays '1' (on Chopin, but I suspect it is the same on all the free servers).

Also

PHP:
<?php
$handle = fopen( "http://www.cnn.com" , "r" ) ;
while( $out = fread (  $handle , 1028 )){
   echo $out ;
}

fclose( $handle ) 
?>

displays the CNN website, which would not happen if allow_url_fopen was set to 0.

The fact is that some functions that require allow_url_fopen are specifically disabled.

odysseyinsurance

Reaction score
confirmation would be nice because I was under the impression that it would come back on after the attack :(

stupid attacking people!

the reason I ask is because I'm getting:

Warning: stream_socket_client() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/odyssey/public_html/joomla/administrator/components/com_redmystic/scprodmgr.php on line 480

which I have been told is a allow_url_fopen issue?

Last edited:

papichulo_carioco

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I just visited your page and put this
Welcome to your new x10hosting account!

Thank you for choosing x10Hosting! Your account is now ready to be used. You may replace or delete this page. If you need support visit our Ticket System.

We have put together a Getting Started post, if you're new to x10 we suggest you read this first before asking any questions, a lot of them are answered in it. We also have a Site Builder you may find useful.

Please remember that we strictly forbid the hosting of illegal and copyrighted files and the usage of nulled scripts. You must also log in to the x10Hosting Forums once every two weeks to prevent your account from being suspended for inactivity. News, announcements, rule changes, and other important changes will also be posted there.

If you have not already, please review our Terms of Service.

Try to delete the index.html file and replace it with your index.html or index.php. Greetings ;)

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
my sites address is http://odysseyinsurance.x10hosting.com/joomla/

would that matter? the fact that it is not in the main directory?

The admins would like odysseyinsurance.x10hosting.com pointing at something other than the default x10hosting welcome page (it is also more professional).

A. Replace the default index.html in public_html with a new index.html that says "Welcome, click here to see my site" or whatever.
OR
B. Replace it with a page that uses META tags, etc to redirect to your joomla page
OR
C. Use .htaccess to have Apache do the redirecting.

Last edited:

odysseyinsurance

Reaction score
ok just put a basic index.html there instead so they can see.
Edit:
any advice?

Last edited:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
any advice?

Go to the site that hosts the component and tell them that your host

A. Has allow_url_fopen enabled but
B. Has stream_socket_client disabled
C. You get the error message you showed.

Ask them if they have a solution. It is their script. They have to come up with an alternative (unless you can get a programmer to look at the code and change it). x10hosting will not enable stream_socket_client for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.