Animated GIFs

voyager7429

Reaction score
Hey all:

I have a question about frame rate and display of animated gifs.

I wanted to make a loop of a video clip of about 10 secs into an animated gif. So I trimmed to avi, then I used GIMP (with GAP installed) to break it down into frames, and convert it to a gif. When I view the animation in GIMP, it works just fine. The frame rate is such that the image looks to be at "normal speed". I have the delay set to 3 ms. However, when I view the image on the web, the image looks to be about half the speed. I even went back in and deleted every other frame to take it down from 128 to 64 frames thinking that might speed it up. While it did significantly reduced the size of the gif (from around 3.5 mb to 1.5 mb), the display in anything other than the software viewer remains too slow.

Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks!

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The speed of a GIF animation on the web depends on the browser rendering algorithm and the size of the GIF. It might work fine in one browser and notably slower in another and smaller GIFs are more likely to work fine. That's why people use Flash for animations bigger then 1MB cos even 1MB is small for a GIF it isn't.

My suggestion is to use Flash.