Any Chess Players here?

fguy64

Reaction score
It's a great game, I've played all my life. If any of you want to talk chess, or maybe play some "postal style" internet chess at gameknot.com, let me know.

I'm also interested in finding someone who is into chess and Java programming who would like to collaborate on my programming project, cause there is more potential work here than I will ever have time for. The project is at a stage where it would not be necessary to go to a lot of effort to understand my code. Maybe we can learn from each other. Anyways, I'm sure most people here have their own projects to worry about, so I won't hold my breath, but if you are interested, let me know here in the thread or by personal message.

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You'd better believe it's a great game! I've been playing since I was 8 and now at 16 I can't find anyone who can beat me (and I know a fair amount of people too)

But I don't know the first thing about coding in java. Maybe I can still help you out anyways?
Edit:
hmmm, I can beat fchess at the "think" and mate in 2 settings, so you're right, it does need a bit of work.

Last edited:

fguy64

Reaction score
You'd better believe it's a great game! I've been playing since I was 8 and now at 16 I can't find anyone who can beat me (and I know a fair amount of people too)

But I don't know the first thing about coding in java. Maybe I can still help you out anyways?

cool, well we can play online if you like. I like gameknot.com. It's not realtime and you can move at your convenience. If you like, set up an account and PM me your id, I'll let you know what mine is and we'll play a game.

As for the project, I can't see how you could contribute without at least some minimal java skills. It wouldn't have to be a lot, I could tell you the best way to get started with java. Everything you need is available for free on the net. You have a bit of download and installation to do to get yourself setup. Let me know if you are still interested. We can probably work something out.

Do you know any other Object Oriented programming language such as C++ ?

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I know C#.
But I'd be interested in learning some basic java I guess.

Last edited:

fguy64

Reaction score
OK C++ will make it easier to learn a little java.

here is your essential resource for all things java. In particular, look for a link that says getting started. There is information there about how to compile and run java routines. That is essential if you want to get involved in this project.

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

you will need the java development kit, it's avaialable here

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

I uses JDK 6 release 13, so I suggest going with that for now. I do all my coding using Notepad, I don't bother with NetBeans. You can do it either way. If you are not sure, then stick with Notepad, you can always switch to an IDE later if you get serious. You can see it is bundled with NetBeans, there's no problem with downloading and installing it, you don't have to use it all the time.

ON my website there is a link to a technical overview of the program. Have a look at that, that will give you a basic overview of how things work right now.

You will need to understand FEN notation and PGN notation. These are strictly chess concepts. here are two links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forsyth-Edwards_Notation

http://www.chessclub.com/help/PGN-spec

OK, as you can see, you will need to spend some time preparing. In the mean time, I will give some thought as to the sorts of things you could do. Take your time. If your eyes are glazing over, or your enthusasm waning, no sweat, I won't mind if you back off from this. just let me know.

Any questions, ask away. Here is fine, but probably we should switch over to PM.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
OK C++ will make it easier to learn a little java.

here is your essential resource for all things java. In particular, look for a link that says getting started. There is information there about how to compile and run java routines. That is essential if you want to get involved in this project.

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

you will need the java development kit, it's avaialable here

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

I uses JDK 6 release 13, so I suggest going with that for now. I do all my coding using Notepad, I don't bother with NetBeans. You can do it either way. If you are not sure, then stick with Notepad, you can always switch to an IDE later if you get serious. You can see it is bundled with NetBeans, there's no problem with downloading and installing it, you don't have to use it all the time.

ON my website there is a link to a technical overview of the program. Have a look at that, that will give you a basic overview of how things work right now.

You will need to understand FEN notation and PGN notation. These are strictly chess concepts. here are two links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forsyth-Edwards_Notation

http://www.chessclub.com/help/PGN-spec

OK, as you can see, you will need to spend some time preparing. In the mean time, I will give some thought as to the sorts of things you could do. Take your time. If your eyes are glazing over, or your enthusasm waning, no sweat, I won't mind if you back off from this. just let me know.

Any questions, ask away. Here is fine, but probably we should switch over to PM.
looks fun, I've got a couple of other coding projects so give me a few days to get familiar with java and then I'll let you know.:cool:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
ok, first off, I'm having trouble installing the java development kit. I download the .jnlp file but I double click it and nothing happens. I'm assuming you know about what I'm talking about?

fguy64

Reaction score
actually, no I don't. I'm a Windows guy, and any jdk I've ever downloaded is an exe installer file. First off, what is your operating system? If it's something other than Windows, then I can't really say much.

Only one suggestions, make sure your system has been appropriately backed up. Last thing I want is to try deal with a messed up system here. I'm really not interested in deal with tech support issues here.

anyways, what is your operating system? I can tell you what file to download.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
actually, no I don't. I'm a Windows guy, and any jdk I've ever downloaded is an exe installer file. First off, what is your operating system? If it's something other than Windows, then I can't really say much.

Only one suggestions, make sure your system has been appropriately backed up. Last thing I want is to try deal with a messed up system here. I'm really not interested in deal with tech support issues here.

anyways, what is your operating system? I can tell you what file to download.
don't worry about tech support. If I ruin my system, I'll take care of it.;)

My os is Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit.

fguy64

Reaction score
don't worry about tech support. If I ruin my system, I'll take care of it.;)

My os is Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit.

heh heh, cool!

ok Ubuntu, I've never heard of it. is that a flavor of Unix or something?

try the Sun forums, lots of expertise of all kinds there. You will need to create an account, but that will come in handy for you.

http://forums.sun.com/index.jspa

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
nvrmind, a quick google search revealed a plethora of instructions related to getting the jdk installed on ubunt 64-bit. So that's done. Only drawback, I got 6.14 instead of 6.13. I couldn't help it, I automaticlly fetches the latest from the repositories. So will that make a difference? Or is 6.14 fine?

btw, ubuntu is one of the more well known flavors of linux, (linux is an OS built on unix)

fguy64

Reaction score
nvrmind, a quick google search revealed a plethora of instructions related to getting the jdk installed on ubunt 64-bit. So that's done. Only drawback, I got 6.14 instead of 6.13. I couldn't help it, I automaticlly fetches the latest from the repositories. So will that make a difference? Or is 6.14 fine?

btw, ubuntu is one of the more well known flavors of linux, (linux is an OS built on unix)

I'm sure 6.14 is fine, I think maybe the only difference is some extra support for Windows 7. I'll take a look on the website to see just what was changed.

The next step is to take a look at the "getting started" part of the tutorial, and do the example about Hello World, which deals with the basics of creating and compiling a program.

after that, I'll send you some code that needs tweaking. It would be a good place to start. PM me your email, it's easier for sending files.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm sure 6.14 is fine, I think maybe the only difference is some extra support for Windows 7. I'll take a look on the website to see just what was changed.

The next step is to take a look at the "getting started" part of the tutorial, and do the example about Hello World, which deals with the basics of creating and compiling a program.

after that, I'll send you some code that needs tweaking. It would be a good place to start. PM me your email, it's easier for sending files.
I'll create a drop actually, it's so much easier than emailing.:thefinger