Any game developers out there?

jdawg2k

Reaction score
Have you tried Mint Linux yet? For me its more intuitive than Ubuntu and it is built on it so it uses the same repository

sbonner

Reaction score
are you a stephan bonner fan?

Since I've seen this question twice, hehe, I'll answer it.

I have no idea who that is. :p

"sbonner" is short for my name, Sarah Bonner.

*awaits the gasps about female game developers*

blackhnd

Reaction score
Pfeh, I wish Epic would release UDK for Mac, as I'm getting into game dev, and I REALLY don't want to use two different engines for one game.

jdawg2k

Reaction score
He is a UFC fighter. No gasp here. My friend wants to go to school for computer programming and she hasn't decided what field. I know many female gamers, it just makes them sexier to game geeks and a female game developer might make the sexiest possible. LOL
Since I've seen this question twice, hehe, I'll answer it.

I have no idea who that is. :p

"sbonner" is short for my name, Sarah Bonner.

*awaits the gasps about female game developers*

delevel.ls94

Reaction score
I'm a web developer and graphic designer. I'm also a huge fan of Final Fantasy XI. I've always wanted to learn how to program games. I work with C++, PHP, Actionscript. I'm also curious to figure out what language was used to make World of Worldcraft and Final Fantasy XI. I'm pretty sure they're being my scope, but I'd definitely love to learn how to create games!

If anyone has any guidance as to how to start and where to begin, I'm all ears!

jdawg2k

Reaction score
There are several game engines that resemble WoW and I believe they are all in the various forms of C if I recall. FF9 was developed for PS1 first then ported if I recall correctly (or were 7 & 8 the only ones ported.) I think PS1 had a proprietary language so that its encryption was stronger but I'm unsure.
I'm a web developer and graphic designer. I'm also a huge fan of Final Fantasy XI. I've always wanted to learn how to program games. I work with C++, PHP, Actionscript. I'm also curious to figure out what language was used to make World of Worldcraft and Final Fantasy XI. I'm pretty sure they're being my scope, but I'd definitely love to learn how to create games!

jdawg2k

Reaction score
From your experience I'd suggest 3D Gamestudio A7. It is in a "cleaned up" version of C++ thats called Lite C so it should be easy for you to learn to use it to its full potential.

jdawg2k

Reaction score
Did the thread die? There's gotta be more developers here. Btw I saw some free tools to make web based RPGs if you are interested sbonner

sbonner

Reaction score
Hey,

I hope the thread didn't die, I like reading the responses. :D

I've been a little busy of late with some off-the-web emergencies. I'd be interested in hearing about the web tools you know about, jdawg.

Most of my "game developer" energy is being focused into getting Ethos started up. It's my MUD project, and so far it's not gotten off the ground quite yet for the same reasons I haven't been busy in the thread. Things are settling down, though, so I'd welcome anyone who'd be interested in working with me on the project. I need someone who can talk one-on-one with me while we work through the pre-alpha stages, about possible design, mechanical, and world ideas and just overall get enthusiastic about it. To avoid reposting an ad I ran about it, you can read the project description here: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=572949

jdawg2k

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the emergencies. Like you my time has been tied up too. I dunno if I mentioned it before but I dislike the "disabled tag" my dr hung on me and have been trying to find ways to earn money. My time has been tied up in a penny auction site in which I had to learn basic php, mysql, and such so that I could repair a script I got. Its been a pain but I nearly have the site finished and hope to try to get back to learning programming so I can do more work on my games besides the one I'm using RPG Maker VX to create (again something I could put together to earn a small amount or money.)

I would try to sign on to your MUD but much to my embarrassment I do not even know what MUD stands for (unless I'm spacing it) and such a novice that I might be more trouble than I am worth.

I googled it and I am so totally an airhead! Its basically textual D&D. :p
Hey,

I hope the thread didn't die, I like reading the responses. :D

I've been a little busy of late with some off-the-web emergencies. I'd be interested in hearing about the web tools you know about, jdawg.

Most of my "game developer" energy is being focused into getting Ethos started up. It's my MUD project, and so far it's not gotten off the ground quite yet for the same reasons I haven't been busy in the thread. Things are settling down, though, so I'd welcome anyone who'd be interested in working with me on the project. I need someone who can talk one-on-one with me while we work through the pre-alpha stages, about possible design, mechanical, and world ideas and just overall get enthusiastic about it. To avoid reposting an ad I ran about it, you can read the project description here: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=572949

Last edited:

sbonner

Reaction score
Yup.

They've come a long way from D&D, though. Most game start-ups try to recruit programmers from inside the MUD community, but I'm actually looking for people who are not familiar with the whole MUD scene, as it were. I tried a separate start-up in 2005, which became a headache because the individuals working with me all decided they wanted to make more game clones, and I shut the whole project down and booted them. <.<;;

There's this air of stagnation.. where, things have been done a particular way for the past 20 years, so nobody wants to think of alternative ways to achieve things. I'm also trying to drag this thing kicking and screaming into the modern game market and hopefully make it a mild money-maker. Mind you, if successful, it likely won't be paying us all a live-on salary, but it should get us a foot in the door to do larger, more ambitious projects down the road.

lostcommander

Reaction score
Well, I am a person with a M.S. in computer science and am especially in artificial intelligence and games. :)

I had seen this thread a while ago, but was busy with some other stuff at the time. I will be emailing sbonner and soki about their projects. Soki, you might consider adding some more details about what it is you are offering or looking for.

Soo... About me a bit perhaps.

I am keenly interested in artificial intelligence. I have long been interested in games in general. I have a few board games under development, as well as a couple web-based games. The web games are simulations of varying complexity. If I had a pile of money to blow, I think it would be awesome to try and develop a space-based MMO using the NAOS engine. It would probably be a commercial flop, but I'd have the joy of knowing I made an MMO world while doing my best to avoid this article: http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted_p2.html. I'd be happy to answer questions if anyone some.

Last edited: