Any ideas for improving my site?

lambada

Reaction score
http://www.samuels-space.x10hosting.com

I know it hasn't actually been updated in a while, but that's cause i'm working on the backend ;)

Any ideas for improving the site? Features? Design etc.

On the design / layout side : I know the footer isn't right, but i'm not sure why atm - help on this would be appreciated.
Also, a complete redesign would only be possible if someone else could come up with a decent layout, and design it in Photoshop / fireworks as a png image. I'm rubbish on the design side you see :p

Cheers for any tips guys / girls / undecided / both.

Splatzone

Reaction score
I would suggest widening it up a bit, but that would require you to remake that image...

WhiteOut

Reaction score
If youre looking for a nicer layout just google 'free html templates' and pick one you like.

ryoko126

Reaction score
Well here are some suggestions. A smaller and wider banner so that people don't have to scroll down to see the links.

For the footer, I'd suggest re-working your css file to have a seperate div file that will go under the content and naviagtion. Make sure the width is the length of both the nav and content area and for simplicity have you html/php file use this...
<div id="footer">
Your site name &copy (this creates a copyright symbol) Your name 2007
</div>

EDIT: If you'd like to pm me with the contents of your css file, I'll take a look at it to see if I can help you.

Last edited:

Zenax

Reaction score
Not to be rude or anything. But I would suggest a total re-work of the layout.

My first point of call would be the size of the header. It is far to large in height. I suggest a smaller, narrower header image.

The next part is to change the link colour. The blue on top of the black makes it hard to read. One of the most fundamental parts of a web page is being able to read the content on there. So I feel that a change of colour for the links is in order.

Second of all, I want to suggest a lighter colour scheme. Perhaps light blues or red or something. I feel that the black and grey are a bit dull and it needs brightening up.

Sorry if anything sounded harsh.

ryoko126

Reaction score
Yes, I'll agree about the header (Banner as I call it) needing to be more narrow. I think a height of 200 or so would be very good.

blackpsycho

Reaction score
my header uses 600x100. fairly big on my site while i'm displaying it at 1152x864 resolution. it will be even bigger on 800x600 resolution though. duh! so what i did to solve the problem is that the login stuff on the left and picture on the right are set to width="15%". basically instead of a static width they resize to 15% of the browser size and the header part will never get smaller then my banner. btw it uses tables to do this.. the login stuff is in one cell the banner in another and the picture in a 3rd. my sidebars and footer do this aswell.
check it out: http://www.punishersquad.x10hosting.com
any questions email me: blackpsycho@punishersquad.x10hosting.com

Sohail

Reaction score
It's good but the header a the top is wayy to big and the navigation needs a little work on, try using buttons instead of text links and use CSS to make the link change colour on rollover or something. Hope this helps...

ryoko126

Reaction score
The banner on Blackpsycho's webpage is a good dimension so it looks like that's a good idea to use on your banner.