any name ideas?

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I am starting a custom computer building business this summer, any ideas for a name? Should it be something professional like Calico Computing, or catchy like XFire Computing? Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I thought of XFire Computing, Calico Computing and CompuCreations. Stop being lazy, I am offering 300 credits to whoever proposes a company name (non-patented, trademarked, or already in use) my board and I vote in favor of.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd shy away from XFire Computing due to its closeness in name to Xfire Incorporated, makers and owners of www.xfire.com. Not saying you can't go with it, but you run the risk of catching some flak if it gets too big too fast because of the nature of the two businesses - both are computer related :(

Didn't really have any suggestions for names, just bringing that up so you can decide if it'd be an issue or not - my guess is it wouldn't be, but the possibility is still there.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, I will propose Flarex Computers, and Livewire raised a good point. I am wondering if there are any names not already taken that state the business of the company, like PC Direct (taken)?

digitalimages

Reaction score
Personally I think that any business name should reflect on several things

1. the individual who owns the business
  2. the type of business
  3. the location
A "catchy" name can be good as long as it gives an idea of the sevice offered.
You can also take your name (initials) and make a name.....a local computer business here is called "JCS Computers"....which are the owners initials..of course some intitials may not be appropriate..;)
Once you have decided on a name, do a search and see if that name is already in use as livewire said, one does not want to risk the wrath of a larger company that uses the same or close to the same name and sues over copyright infringment.
I like "Livewire Computers", :biggrin: But there may be an issue with this as there are many hits for livewire on google
Once you have a name think of how that name will look on a store front, letterhead, business cards and what logo woud be appropriate. Just a quick example of a logo using that name. You can probably do better.

Attachments

• livewire.jpg
    livewire.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 22

zen-r

Reaction score
We'd need to know a bit more about you in order to come up with a name that's creative & relevant to you.

Since you apparently live in Ft. Lauderdale, how about the similarly sounding ;

"Laudable Computers" (meaning "worthy of high praise" !) - I've Googled the full name in quotes, & there are no results which would indicate there's a good chance it might be fairly unique.

Other suggestions which are perhaps less unique though hopefully capture the essence of the purpose of your business within the name include ;

"PCs For You", "Gigahertz", "Vanguard Computers", "Computer Concepts" & "Computer Constructs".

What do you think? :)

Please click my Reputation button

reputation.gif
(at the corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback.

Thanks.​

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I think that any business name should reflect on several things

1. the individual who owns the business
  2. the type of business
  3. the location
A "catchy" name can be good as long as it gives an idea of the sevice offered.
You can also take your name (initials) and make a name.....a local computer business here is called "JCS Computers"....which are the owners initials..of course some intitials may not be appropriate..;)
Once you have decided on a name, do a search and see if that name is already in use as livewire said, one does not want to risk the wrath of a larger company that uses the same or close to the same name and sues over copyright infringment.
I like "Livewire Computers", :biggrin: But there may be an issue with this as there are many hits for livewire on google
Once you have a name think of how that name will look on a store front, letterhead, business cards and what logo woud be appropriate. Just a quick example of a logo using that name. You can probably do better.

http://www.livewire.ca/index.html

Livewire Authentication, part of the Livewire Computer Solutions family of businesses.

Plus Livewire's MY name, not his ;)

Edit: Certainly not a bad logo by far though :)

Last edited:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry, but all the names you suggested were taken except Gigahertz, but that is too generic. Try googling your name ideas.

zen-r

Reaction score
You're unlikely to get any totally unique ideas, everything worth having related to computer building has already been thought of by the billions of other people on this planet.

The best you can hope for is something unique to your region. But you haven't given us any info about yourself to work with, so we can only provide you with generic sounding names. Any of the suggestions by people above can be tweaked by you to make them more unique. Just add "Company Name, Ft Lauderdale" or "Company Name, South East" or "Company Name, Unlimited" etc.

You say the names are taken, but what do you mean? There is a difference between finding it in Google, & it actually being a registered business name. I don't know about the U.S, but for the UK, we can look up all registered names here. And as I say, even these registered names can be tweaked by someone else & re-used by them in their own area.

Or are you talking about domain names? Again, you can just tweak them by adding a hyphen between the words, or trying a different suffix, & are sure to find one that hasn't been registered yet.

Where have you seen "Laudable Computers" by the way? (link?) The only place it comes up in Google for me is in 1 new result, which is a link back to my earlier post (there, if you take that name, Google has already indexed it for you! ;) )

botbg

Reaction score
Computer Byte
Get the best byte of your computers.

Sounds good and the name isn't taken

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
You're unlikely to get any totally unique ideas, everything worth having related to computer building has already been thought of by the billions of other people on this planet.

The best you can hope for is something unique to your region. But you haven't given us any info about yourself to work with, so we can only provide you with generic sounding names. Any of the suggestions by people above can be tweaked by you to make them more unique. Just add "Company Name, Ft Lauderdale" or "Company Name, South East" or "Company Name, Unlimited" etc.

You say the names are taken, but what do you mean? There is a difference between finding it in Google, & it actually being a registered business name. I don't know about the U.S, but for the UK, we can look up all registered names here. And as I say, even these registered names can be tweaked by someone else & re-used by them in their own area.

Or are you talking about domain names? Again, you can just tweak them by adding a hyphen between the words, or trying a different suffix, & are sure to find one that hasn't been registered yet.

Where have you seen "Laudable Computers" by the way? (link?) The only place it comes up in Google for me is in 1 new result, which is a link back to my earlier post (there, if you take that name, Google has already indexed it for you! ;) )
You have a point, I am just a bit paranoid. I don't just have to worry about business names similar to mine, I have to worry about trademarked phrases too. Thanks for suggesting Laudable Computers, but the name is a bit too generic. If someone googled custom computers, that wont be anywhere near the front page. I don't know what information I could give you to form better naming ideas... My initials are JW, in Ft. Lauderdale (could say Miami if it helps ;)), and I create custom computers. However, my business is a bit different because I choose the parts for you based on a description of how you want your computer to preform. If people have enough technical knowledge to "customize" a computer from a list of parts, why not build it themselves? I need the name to be something catchy, that will spark interest immediately, not like McAfee, or other names that require a reputation. The name must be specific enough to tell what I am doing, but generic enough to leave room for expansion. You now share my conundrum.

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
Perhaps something involving the word "Bespoke" -meaning "Custom-made to the buyer's specification"?

Again, you'll need to play around with word combinations to get the balance you prefer between totally unique (but long & requiring too many keywords in google) and generic/catchy sounding (but already widely used & among many similar results in google).

You could try ideas along the line of "JW Bespoke Computers", "JW's Bespoke PCs", "Bespoke Computers, Miami", "Bespoke Systems, Ft Lauderdale", "Bespoke Computers 4u", "Bespoke Stuff", or.......

"PCs Bespoke" (www.PCsBespoke.com is not registered & is free as a .com, .net etc)

Please click my Reputation button
reputation.gif
(at the corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback. Thanks.​

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
Hey Twinkie, did you find a name for yourself in the end & if so, what did you go with?

Should this thread be closed now?

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Well I took all the names suggested into consideration, but since the business isn't starting until this summer, I find no need to rush into it. I was well attached to XFire Computing before I even started the thread, so I am a bit biased for a while and I don't want to make the wrong decision. My board and I will vote this summer, and if I use any of the names suggested, I will remember to give my thanks and reward.

Thank you everyone for your ideas, and if anyone has anymore, than I would like to hear them =)

How about Thunder Pussy? Or the Enforcer?
Uhhh that might give the wrong idea of what I am doing ;)

Last edited: