Anyone use Dreamweaver?

valinthir

Reaction score
I know only the tiniest bit about web design, and am using my hosting account in part to learn more. I recently obtained Adobe CS3 and was wondering if anyone else here uses dreamweaver, and what beginner's hints and tips you could offer. I've umm.. also obtained, a couple of the 'Dummies' type texts on web design, and the missing manual series dreamweaver offerings. Any recommended texts for a dreamweaver noob?

-Val

hezuo

Reaction score
I recommend you to get Lynda Video-Tutorials. It's like having an actual class. In fact, I'm learning PHP now with them.

valinthir

Reaction score
The Lynda training looks good, but $25 a month is more than I can afford. Can the videos be found through P2P methods, or only hosted through their site?

Nevermind, I stopped being lazy and found them, lol.

Last edited:

coolv1994

Reaction score
i use dreamweaver 8 lol but it will help you learn html and stuff because it color codes tags also it has a ftp

valinthir

Reaction score
Dayum, coolv, that's some nice band you got there. Road runner is DSL, right? Tell me, is that their standard package speed? I wonder if they're available where I'm moving to in Pgh...

Cable.. and no market in Pgh either. Bastards, bloody rotten high bandwidth bastards.

Last edited:

toonshorty

Reaction score
I like Dreamweaver 8 as it adds most of the code for you...

Good for lazy people!

Jesse

Reaction score
I never used Dreamweaver but i have one on my computer CS3 version ;)

b0gner17

Reaction score
I use dreamweaver cs3.... Its great I use it for all my web design. I am currently learning php....

valinthir

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm going to use the Lynda video courses, now if only I could download something that would give me time to watch them, heh.

-Val

kirtik

Reaction score
The good things (amongst others) about dreamweaver is the ftp and the code view. The bad thing is the design view. It doesn't always render CSS properly... hopefully this is fixed in cs4 D:

bachstrad

Reaction score
Try Stefan Mischook www.killersites or www.killerphp.com Stefan has free tutorials on line ready for you to view. I am learning to code by hand because although I have used dreamweaver in the past I want to develop my skills in coding - all i can saay is that Stefan is the Bees Knees on video tutorials and if you lke what you see then you can by a set of them. as far as I can tell he is a professional web developer and he gives you hints tips and tutorials on - well what do you want to know?

fierce

Reaction score
I'm using Dreamweaver CS3 for one year becoz it has gr8 options and can't wait for CS4 to come out .

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Who doesn't, Dreamweaver is probably the best. It is great for commercial web sites, and speeds up the process for home users. Only issue is price.

zacheri

Reaction score
The good things (amongst others) about dreamweaver is the ftp and the code view. The bad thing is the design view. It doesn't always render CSS properly... hopefully this is fixed in cs4 D:

Really? Until now? I'm planning to change the website I'm developing to CSS, because CS3 proves to be more CSS friendly compared to Dreamweaver 8, as far as web reviews are concerned....:happysad:

freecrm

Reaction score
I use DW CS3 all the time - in fact my whole site (or most of it) is generated in DW.

I love it because it does a lot of the work for you BUT: it is quite limited when it comes to helping the user understand what the hell it is doing!

As a starter, I would suggest you get to grips with simple html, including table layouts and the way they work.

Secondly, you could look at the ways in which you can manipulate the formatting of your page using css.

Thirdly, you can start to delve into the depths of dynamic sites using asp or php.... a BIG subject.

The help files are OK but expect you to have some basic understanding.

The way I learned was using simple, freely available tutorials on each mini subject.

Google it!

EdanadE

Reaction score
I hope I don't get banned by plugging this:
Use torrent sites and DL video tutorials there.

video tutorials are a must for n00bs who are in a
hurry to learn the basics.