Compress a 1GB file into a 5MB Size.

It is possible?

Last edited:

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Compress a 1GB file into a 5MB Size.

It is possible?

That would be quite a feat, but I really don't think its possible. If it is, I hope someone lets us know ... I'd be interested in that information.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Depends what you're compressing. If it's "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" a million times, I'd have thought that could shrink quite well. Most other things? Probably not. The likes of Ubuntu, Knoppix, etc. would have an easy life if that were possible!

dawmail333

Reaction score
I know I downloaded a 25mb program that apparently took 8GB in total when installed, so yeah, go figure.

Tom743

Reaction score
Maybe if you ziped it, then put the zip in a zip, then put that zip in another zip, then repeated that 100s of times. I will try that.

EDIT: Zipping then zipping again doesnt work, the file size just stays the same. :(

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Repeatedly zipping will actually make the file bigger due to the file header, so that's not such a good idea.

Zangetsu

Reaction score
like sharky said it depends on what you are compressing and some programs are better at compressing then others

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
using kgb archiver that can be possible but it mainly depends on data which you are compresing and the time to compress will depends on your system specifications.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
Use KB archiver or hex edit it.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Depends on what you're compressing, and what filetype it is being compressed to. I'm starting to see .7z compression more often now than before (7-zip.org)