Apple Releases 2.0 for iPhone and iPod Touch

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
On Friday, Apple released a software update for the iPhone and the iPod touch known as 2.0.
The update allows users to download/purchase third party applications from the App Store, the new application.
The update also has other features such as Microsoft Exchange Compatibility and MobileMe, an Apple Service.
iPhone users get the update for free but iPod touch owners have to pay $9.95 for the update.

At launch the App Store included 552 apps, including 135 free programs. Among them is Apple’s own Remote, which controls
iTunes 7.7 remotely. Other free apps include an AIM instant-messaging client from AOL, Google Mobile, TypePad, and an iPhone version of the Twitterrific Twitter client.

I know this is a bit old but it is still relatively new. :biggrin:

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Great news for iPhone users and all; but I think there's too much hype about the iPhone to be honest. Its functionality isn't all that amazing when compared to RIM's BlackBerry range and the Nokia N series. LG is also manufacturing some competitively priced phones (take the U990 3G for example) which, in my opinion, beat Apple's latest over-priced mediocre product. Sure the touch screen is nice, but it's nothing new is it?

Anyways, the update should add some standard functionality to the phone; although Apple haven't exactly been very good to freelance developers recently so there might not be much to buy for it in the short term. It would seem that Apple failed to give information to the smaller developers regarding the new marketplace. The bigger boys seem to have it covered though.

-Luke.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I forgot to note this:
Some iPod touch owners have been able to download the upgrade for free by "tricking" iTunes to give it to them.
Apple has iPhones to deal with now. It's going to take a while for them to fix that other bug. ;)

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Do you mean Apple's iPhone 3G is worse than the regular iPhone in terms of Bluetooth?
I could see that happening easily. :biggrin:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Speaking of the new iPhone, besides this firmware upgrade which doesn't really do a thing to the phone but add some 3G functions to it and break Bluetooth a little bit, people have already been able to hack the iPhone to make it work on any provider's network, and are already selling the phones for $700 a piece.

For now, I'll stick with one of Verizon Wireless's new phones to compete for the iPhone, which is really nice the last time I was at a VZW store and messed around with one.

Last edited:

jsobeck

Reaction score
I forgot to note this:
Some iPod touch owners have been able to download the upgrade for free by "tricking" iTunes to give it to them.
Apple has iPhones to deal with now. It's going to take a while for them to fix that other bug. ;)

Other iPod touch owners have found that the upgrade is the top download on many torrent networks. ;) (Not naming anything though to keep this thread legal.)

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
By the way, I have been hearing that the new firmware upgrade has been breaking the Wi-Fi features of the iPod Touch and the iPhone lately, so just a heed of warning!

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I've noticed that it takes about 10 seconds to connect to Wi-Fi instead of like 2 seconds. :eek:

lunarAdmin

Reaction score
Err the update is no good its so buggy its ridiculous and our support (I work for Apple Tech Support) aren't supporting any of it because its all 3rd party, erhm on the bluetooth issue its because the phone has a whole new setup so like the original its back at step one its not compatible with as many bluetooths as it should be, and the iPod Touch has always ben the devil with wi-fi and it will never change lol

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't see any major bugs in it. (And I use my iPod a lot)
Now I'm waiting for Firefox Mobile. =p

firstchat

Reaction score
Isn't it supposed to be faster aswell... As compared to the old cruddy networks at&t has run on. So I'm wondering, is it really faster, data-wise?

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Only in places where AT&T has 3G service, which is very, very limited compared to companies like Verizon Wireless, so unless there's 3G or Wi-Fi, you're on EDGE :D

EDIT: By the way, AT&T does have a 3G coverage map on their website if you're interested on where it is.

Last edited:

shyguy

Reaction score
Well 2.0 is pretty good but when I use to jailbreak my iPod Touch way cooler plus 100% free. Though Apple offers huge free apps and so I don't jailbreak no more.