Apps ideas ( Best apps to get / use )

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
I have finally upgraded from an old phone to an LG Revolution Smart Phone.

Now, my question is ... what apps are best to get ( mostly free, please - I don't have much money )

I do have FB, Foursquare and twitter already installed. But anything that helps cut down on the # of apps. ( like something that integrates things ) would be nice.

Darkmere

Reaction score
I use google Navigator, Maps, and Earth

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Yellow pages app is sometimes good too for looking up phonenumbers

frankfriend

Reaction score
Is Air Sharing available for your phone?, it is a great file handler. Is the Kindle application available? I use both on ITouch, from Apple Store8)

Last edited:

Darkmere

Reaction score
Is Air Sharing available for your phone?, it is a great file handler. Is the Kindle application available? I use both on ITouch, from Apple Store8)

Yes all that is avail for android ... I found all the things on apple store is also on the android store. Androids come with kindle already installed anyways.

steronius

Reaction score
Call Confirm
Lookout
GMail Unread Count (using the "old" version because free, no real issues for me)
Labelert
Timeriffic
Barcode Scanner
WiFi Analyzer
Speed Test.net mobile
Overlook Fing
SwiFTP
My Settings
AutorunManager
BKTaskManager
Ks Uninstaller
NetCounter
Google Navigator
Catch notes
Evernote
ip webcam
non-free: logmein

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions.
I have to be careful on some apps, as my data plan is only 2GB a month. *sighs* Wish I could of kept the service I had, but when they aren't located where you live now, it makes things difficult.

I am mostly focused on apps that tie together various services ( Like TweetDeck handles FourSquare, Facebook, Twitter ) in one package. That way, it should cut down on data usage and how much crap I have installed. *lol*

Looking for a good photo app ( that would tie into Photobucket perhaps? )

I could search Android Market, but I'm a lazy butt today.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
2GB Data limit? Starshine, who is your ISP? Sounds like you're using a mobile connection.

Darkmere

Reaction score
2GB Data limit? Starshine, who is your ISP? Sounds like you're using a mobile connection.

I do believe it is Verizon, they are the only company that doesnt have Unlimited Data, which if it is why are you on the 2 gig plan, they charge 15$ a gig on that plan if you go up one more you get 10$ gig. You are technically ripping your self off of 10$ a month on that plan. Plus if you are worried about data what you do is turn the wifi on on your phone and download the apps via your own internet conection

Last edited:

steronius

Reaction score
You will find that you DO NOT use bandwidth even remotely like a computer. I've had my phone for almost a year, even after mega-play in the beginning, My Net Counter reports i've used 129MB via cell tower and 1.7GB via wireless TOTAL. A co-worker reported the same -- as a test he streamed music almost at every waking moment, both to and from work and any opportunity for the first month, he didn't even come in at a fifth of the 2GB limit. i.e. You aren't downloading ISO's or movies and it's plainly not a desktop computer. apps are mega-small and are also designed to transfer minimal data. go ahead and try to max it out your first month, install netcounter or similar product and keep an eye on it.

Enable wireless and config for auto-connect to your regular locations. It will use wireless over cell-tower and not affect your phone-service.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I do believe it is Verizon, they are the only company that doesnt have Unlimited Data, which if it is why are you on the 2 gig plan, they charge 15$ a gig on that plan if you go up one more you get 10$ gig. You are technically ripping your self off of 10$ a month on that plan. Plus if you are worried about data what you do is turn the wifi on on your phone and download the apps via your own internet conection

I actually do not use a Data Plan for any Mobile Internet. I've always seen them as a rip-off. I do use a DSL connection from Verizon in my home, though.

CWeb Creative

Reaction score
Ya, i've never had a problem with reaching 2GB of data on my phone but its home much of the time where its connected to wifi. Granted that is doesn't matter as i got my phone before Verizon dropped the unlimited data so i will have it for at least 2 years but likely longer.

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score

Yes. Verizon. And no, AT&T no longer offers unlimited data service either. ( I have a friend with AT&T ) I would of stuck with Sprint as my carrier, which had unlimited, but they do not have coverage in my area, so had to go back to verizon ... which had dropped unlimited just before I signed up for the plan.

How would I do that? ( Never tried before ) ... Just using the Wi-Fi connection uses my internet instead of my data service? That's cool.

Darkmere

Reaction score
Yes. Verizon. And no, AT&T no longer offers unlimited data service either. ( I have a friend with AT&T ) I would of stuck with Sprint as my carrier, which had unlimited, but they do not have coverage in my area, so had to go back to verizon ... which had dropped unlimited just before I signed up for the plan.

How would I do that? ( Never tried before ) ... Just using the Wi-Fi connection uses my internet instead of my data service? That's cool.

You flip the status bar down and there should be a wifi button. Turn it on and then in your settings under wifi you can set up the connection and password. And yeah so long as wifi is on it will use that before it will use the Tower

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Thank you.
I was never aware that it did that. I did know HOW to setup the Wi-Fi, I never knew it used that instead of the data service. Certainly will be using that more in the near future.