Are dissenters unpatriotic?

asianu

Reaction score
While I may be viewed as a Bush basher, I'm here to express my views on certain things about his administration I find unacceptable.

Bush faced a lot that no President should ever have to deal with during his or her term, and while there were a lot of things he could have done better [or in some cases, shouldn't have done at all], he is, in the end, just a man like the rest of us. To lead a nation, especially this one, is no simple task and Bush should be commended just for trying.

What I've got against him is his administration's "either you're with us or against us" mantra. Anyone who isn't in favor of his policies and the war on Iraq is labeled as unpatriotic. Excuse me?!

With this country's democracy, the people have the right of free consent as well as dissent. Dissent doesn't mean anarchy, which we disregard all rules because we don't agree with it. No. To dissent is to openly show opposition, and this right allows us to choose our candidates for office, our right to appeal/amend existing laws and policies, and voice alternatives to the present government. Dissent is needed to maintain the balance of democracy, and keep a path open for new ideas and alternatives.

But Bush is dangerously tipping our society into a pseudo-autocracy. Cindy Sheehan is branded as a mom who can't let go, that there are families out there who had losses like hers and aren't making a ruckus out of it. But like her or hate her, she is a testament of our society at work, that the voice of one is a powerful tool. People are seeing that and perhaps that's why Bush is so reluctant to meet with her.

Instead, he ignores Sheehan and goes have a press conference, already preaching to the converted. His breath is wasted as the people he's addressing are already on his side. What he needs to do it talk to the rest of us and justify himself. He is an elected official, a public servant, and is subject to the voice of the people. I want him to explain how forcing democracy onto a nation is justifiable while restricting the democratic voice of this nation. How religion— his religion— is worthy of a Constitutional amendment. How he willingly doles out money for other stricken nations [which I do support] but when it comes to our people, he barely does anything to call on for international aid.

Ben Franklin is credited for the statement: "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." By Bush's policy, one of our greatest Founding Fathers can be deemed a traitor. How has our national ideals become so perversed? I loved what this country stood for [not the past tense] and that's why I'm crying out.

Sheehan said this country [Iraq] isn't worth dying for. As long as Bush is leading the way he is, America at her present state may not be worth it either. :tear:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
depends on the situation if you ask me..
during war time dissenting should be punishable by death.. the draft isnt instated; you signed up for it, so its your job.

if the draft was instated, dissenting would be more understandable since they'd need all the manpower they'd get.. they'd just send you back in if you did escape

sort of related to the issue of patriotism, what ever happened to killing people who are treasonous? i mean, i believe everyone has their own opinion to who should become president, but a couple days ago on the news a lady threatened to hit the president if she ever saw him. even if you dislike the president, he/she should still have the right to punish that person for treason.

if you ask me, all these flag burners and violent protestors should be shot..

Mikek

Reaction score
dissenters should be allowed in any democratic country. Though sometime they dissent because they lost their previous chance to participate in the democratic process, eg like peoples votes not being counted by court ruling (eg first election of bush jnr.)

If you join the military volentary and you desert during war time you probably do derserve to be shot, though you should not be if you were drafted.