Are there any Vista users out there who don't hate it?

Scott B

Reaction score
Actually I use XP.
If you are looking for a clone, you might want to check out ReactOS (http://reactos.org). Its still in alpha but it might be what you are looking for. Please rep me if it is ;)

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
I use Vista and don't hate it. I can't seem what all the hubbub is about Vista - but I've been using it for months and haven't had any issues.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I've had Vista for 7 months as of today on my Gaming computer. Couldn't be happer with it. The system hasn't been shut down in 7 months (though the OS uptime is a lot smaller than that due to updates), and it's a very fast OS despite what people say.

afroxav

Reaction score
I don't hate vista, but I had a major issue with IIS (now I can't acess my localhost:80 website since IIS is starting but doesn't work. And I don't see the point of having some features such as Flip3D that no one uses.

But, over all, I think vista is now so bad but there is still a few glitchs

cowctcat

Reaction score
Personaly i think they over simplified it but ive been useing it since september without issue

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I'm switching to Vista today. :biggrin:
Edit:
I've switched, and loving Vista so far. The new PC is a lot faster than my old one. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Maybe it just "feels" faster? Statistically it's 50% slower than XP in most benchmark tests (CNET conducted this study I believe). I reformatted my roommate's Vista-based XPS to XP. There are some free legit OS's that are similar to XP.. might have to do some search on that. One of my friends used BeastXP (I think that's what it's called)

Dahlriku

Reaction score
Well you can keep Xp but go ahead and get a different shell.
When i had Xp i loved litestep. http://www.litestep.net/

I will see if I can find the installer for the shell I used for a long time. but as for now im off to bed, night.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Hi,

I was running Vista for a couple of months last year but it just slowed everything down. I switched back to Ubuntu Linux and am now running a PC with better desktop effects than Vista can ever to hope to have, more applications (OpenOffice installed with the OS, Pidgin as an instant messenger, Evolution for my emails and so on)...

I like DreamScene (Ultimate users only), but I think that overall Vista was a ripoff. I ended up seeling my copy of Ultimate on eBay, I couldn't stand it. I felt short changed with Windows Ultimate Extras, they were all useless and pointless things that just added more lag.

I don't like it, it was a major step back from XP in terms of reliability and stability (blue screen of death when I plug in a TV card and boot it up)......and I don't like Vista's interface. It's too dark and dull.

Edit: Stocks, you could try ReactOS which is very unstable currently and doesn't run many applications at all (although for a one man projects its' moved forward incredibly fast); or you may want to install an OS like Ubuntu Linux (because it's so easy to use) and then install Wine using
Code:
sudo apt-get install wine
Then you can run quite a lot of Windows applications without owning Windows.

-Luke.

Last edited:

Jesse

Reaction score
I use Vista... and just to say... I LOVE IT! :D

kanno

Reaction score
I have used Vista but I have to say I really don't like it. I switched back to XP and then I switched to Ubuntu which I find much better than XP or Vista. I find it has much better performance than both ( PC boots in 18secs and shuts down in 3secs) and the Compiz Fusion makes it a really smooth desktop.

The good thing I find is that not only does my pc boot up fast now but I can use it straight away after logging in. I have always found with Windows XP or Vista that after logging in I have to wait 5 mins for everything to load before I can use my pc.

well thats just my 2 cents...

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Maybe it just "feels" faster? Statistically it's 50% slower than XP in most benchmark tests (CNET conducted this study I believe). I reformatted my roommate's Vista-based XPS to XP. There are some free legit OS's that are similar to XP.. might have to do some search on that. One of my friends used BeastXP (I think that's what it's called)

It actually is faster - maybe its because of the Core 2 Duo that the new PC has. :biggrin:

Now I can open Thunderbird and Firefox at startup without having to wait five minutes for them to actually open.

Submariner

Reaction score
I got Vista when I upgraded to a quad core CPU. The only item I miss is IIS. My PC came with Vista Home Premium and I might have to bite the bullet and upgrade to Ultimate. Also I use a HP all-in-one scanner/copier/printer and HP decided not to make Vista drivers for components older than 7 years. I can't see upgrading something that's working and does all I need ;)

As far as the eye candy goes, it's nice but not required.

James

intertec

Reaction score
Vista is the best! Everyone says its rubbish and half of them haven't used it!

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Vista is the best! Everyone says its rubbish and half of them haven't used it!

Couldn't agree more. Recently I've been flooded with phone calls for tech support about whether or not they should get Vista based on what they've heard. Well, I listened, and mostly I heard it was because of the amount of RAM it uses. Well, using my gaming computer, I sent them loads of screenshots via e-mail, and they were surprised to see how very little RAM I was using when I had loads of stuff open. I even told him that if they didn't like the amount of RAM Vista was using, they could shut some of the eye candy and unneeded features to drastically cut the RAM. I had all of that stuff on though. So yeah, it's one of the things keeping me busy, though I'm surprised that I haven't needed to fix any Vista machines yet, only XP and below.