Are these computer hardware goon enough?

intertec

Reaction score
Hey. I am upgrading my computer and my budget is $700. Are these stuff good?

ASUS P5QC (DDR2 + DDR3) = 165
Intel 775pin Q6600 = 212
2gb ddr2 ram = 47
512M 9600GT= 132
Thermaltake 470w = 69

Tell me what you think? Would I be able to play the latest games?

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
I would personally go with the 8800GT, but that's only because that's what I'm familiar with; I suggest you compare the clock speeds and stream processors of the 9600GT and 8800GT and then make your decision.

Instead of a Quad processor, I would get a high end Duo with a high L2 cache

Lastly, will that power supply be enough to power your 9600GT? I know some cards require a 6-pin PCI-E power connector, and they can draw up to 18+ amps on a 12 volt rail

Otherwise I think it's a good computer

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Go for an 8800GT or 8800GTX which is faster than the GT, but leave the quad core processor in place. I've seen the difference between my quad core processor and a high end dual core processor, and running some benchmarks of my own, my processor has been able to out-perform the dual core processor. The only problem with going with the quad core is that not many programs have been able to utilize it fully, but I do have some video software that will use it right up, but heck does it process things fast. My quad core processor has handled everything thrown at it, and even if games complain about it, they run perfectly fine. It's just because programs are made for one core, or are made to see two cores, not 4 cores.

As for the RAM, get the clock speed at 800MHz.

Last edited:

kennbona

Reaction score
That Graphics Card is Okay.. I've got that same one EVGA 512Mb 9600GT and i can say i've had no problems with it as of yet.

Quad Core.. ummm.. Do you really need it? grab a less expensive Core 2 Duo "one of the later models" and spend that extra cash you save on some better ram..

RAM you said DDR2 - The world has shifted past DDR2.. get some DDR3 Ram much faster and dramatically increases performance. when it comes to compression, Ziping files,Opening large Files, Compressing etc..

Hope this helps
Kenneth

intertec

Reaction score
Okay! New system in mind!

ASUS P5N-D = $164

Q6600 = 212

2gb ram = $44

512M 9600GT = $132

Installation= $70