ASP.NET or PHP

nuwanpra

Reaction score
:cool:

What are the main differences between ASP.NET and PHP. both are widely used. Can all of you share your thoughts and experience? PHP is open source and free to use. beyond that, is it have more functionality over ASP.NET?

psycrosis

Reaction score
http://www.bizfive.com/articles/web-design/comparing-php-and-asp.net/

These pages do a good job of comparing them. I use asp .net simply because I know the .net languages better then I know php. If you don't know how to code in either .net or php I suggest using php since it is easier to understand and there are alot more open source apps you can use on here without any programming knowledge or having to have to change it to support MySql since most all php apps support MySql and that is the database server used on this site. Hope that helps....

nuwanpra

Reaction score
If we create our databases with MySql is it possible to connect to those with Sql server? I mean if we want connect to those in future with sql server. Also if we are creating our application with ASP.NET is it possible to connect it with MySql data? And wise versa can we connect to sql server database with php?

espfutbol98

Reaction score
I'm trying to find out the same thing. I've used PHP for a while and it is more basic but you need to write more code in my experience. An example if a login page; in ASP.Net (VB.Net) you just set e.Authenticated to true. It takes care of setting the cookie and sessions while in PHP, you would have to write the code to do that every time or include a class to do it. Also, Visual Web Developer has a lot of drag and click functions like logging in and creating users. Basically PHP is easier but it's your choice whichever language to use. For x10, I would defiantly suggest PHP because you'd have to write in C# if you were to use ASP.Net and use MySQL because they do not support MSSQL.

jont87

Reaction score
I prefer PHP especially for beginners as probably easier to learn and I like to build up my own functions/classes/objects instead of just using drag and drop, pre made ones like you can with asp.