Asp.net Set up

tokarjoe

Reaction score
I would like to know if there is actual documentation about the setup and configuration for asp.net on x10hosting? I am a new user to this community and before I learn php. I want to start testing with some of my asp pages. I've looked throughout the forums and I've still not found anything listed to configure the server to successfully run. I have read a large amount of information and everything looks good. Can someone point me in the correct location so that I can configure the server. Where should I place my settings? Is there something simple that needs to be accessed on the cpanel for me to run asp.net? I am missing something and I am running out of time to testing this out. I understand that the hosting is free but if I was to consider purchasing a hosting server. Then I would probably look elsewhere. Suggestions. Tokarjoe

Hue Kares

Reaction score
Welcome tokarjoe, I hope you have a great time here at x10.

You should not need to 'configure the server' (I assume you mean adding mime-types and the like), so I wouldn't worry about that just yet.

Tell me where you've got so far; have you uploaded an ASP.net project (an Hello World, perhaps) yet?

You need to know that as we're on Linux beasts here, the Mono Project is used as a replacement to the Microsoft .Net Framework. Mono is an open-source implementation of the .Net Framework, so if you intend to continue with ASP.Net here, you need to familarise yourself with the key differences between the two implementations.

The Libraries/Namespaces are the same, so on the whole, your code shouldn't be broken by the transition. However, you will find that some features of the .Net Framework have not yet been implemented in Mono and C# support is much much better than VB.Net; having said that, Mono adds some cool functionality of its own... Yes, it's going to be a learning curve for you, but I'm sure you don't mind that.

As for learning php; I couldn't get ASP.Net to work for me when I started here, so I learnt php instead (mostly from looking up GarrettRoyce's posts on these forums!). You'll find it's a very easy language to pick up (compared to .Net technologies anyway), and there are many knowledgeable and friendly people here to help you if you get stuck. The choice is yours...

So, if you look at the mono stuff, and then try to upload some ASP.Net pages to your site and see what happens; I'm sure you will hit some errors initially, but come back here with any specific error info, and I'll happily walk you through the solutions. Good Luck. ;)

tokarjoe

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the feedback. I've read up on this Mono Project and I do understand that there is a difference. I think that I will learn php since it does seem pretty easy to work with, but all in time. I really want to see how well the asp.net worked with Linux. I did start out by uploading a project but I think that some of the limitations I have (Behind a firewall at work). I am not able to easily work with frontpage or web disk. I have to use the legacy file browser on cpanel and was wondering if this was a limitation when working with it? I will try uploading again and testing but from what I am reading. I do not have to configure any settings to get asp.net working here. Just upload my project and test. That sounds pretty easy and I will move forward. I will post a sample page just to be sure that I have this correct. Thanks again and any other links,tutorials or videos to help would be appreciated but I try again. Tokarjoe (Toe-Car-Joe)

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I suggest working with PHP. Tizag.com has some good tutorials.

Hue Kares

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the feedback. I have to use the legacy file browser on cpanel and was wondering if this was a limitation when working with it?

Thanks for your kind words. I am not aware of any limitations in using the Legacy File Browser, but someone else may pop up with something. Is the File Browser not useable for you? It's much smarter and friendlier than the Legacy version...

I do not have to configure any settings to get asp.net working here. Just upload my project and test.

We used to have to add the line "AddType application/mono .aspx .ascx .asax .ashx .config .cs .asmx .axd" to our .htaccess file, in order to recognize the filetypes, but we don't even have to do that now. It is commented out in my .htaccess, and asp.net pages on my site do indeed still work - here's a very dull asp.net page. So it seems this line is no longer required (I guess it's been entered at a more global level by the men upstairs...).

I think that I will learn php
Good for you... Why limit yourself to one technology, eh? :dunno: Out of interest, are you a C# or VB.Net guy (or both, like me)?

Enjoy playing...

tokarjoe

Reaction score
I am vb.net and love the asp.net from the old days. I did manage to test the asp page you suggested and this had a 500 error. I will test out my things here and continue to see how well things will work out.

I've been checking the forum everyday so there does seem to be alot of well informed people that use this so before I decide any changes. I will post my questions here until I get no help.

Thanks for the help and I will let update my results soon.
Tokajoe
Edit:
OMT:

I used firefox, ie6,7 & 8,and chrome with no luck. We have a script blocker that will not allow me to use anything but the old legacy file browser. Funny to think that something that is older is still needed to get past firewall proxies.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:

Hue Kares

Reaction score
Hi tokarjoe, on a side note, I would expect this thread to be moved somewhere more appropriate at some point, so don't be alarmed if that happens.

If you have successfully uploaded a page, I would expect an error to start off with (I was expected a 400 though). Anyway, you will need to make a few changes to the web.config file, as follows:

* comment out (or remove) the line <authentication mode="Windows"/>. You must always perform this step to have any chance of it working here.
* look at the customErrors node just underneath the authentication section, and you will see it's commented out; leave that for now, and add a new line <customErrors mode="Off" /> just underneath. This will now display any errors to you, which will assist in debugging.

If you don't mind, even though it doesn't yet work, can you provide a link to your test page?

I'm glad you're a VB.Net guy, it's my favourite language to use. I asked you about C#/VB.Net for a reason. As I said, VB.Net lags behind in the Mono world; while we use VB9 (VB2008), Mono currently requires you to use VB8 (VB2005). So, you have to bear this in mind. As a simple example, the following will not work here:

HTML
Code:
 <asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" Text="Button" />
VB9
Code:
  Protected Sub TestButtonClick(ByVal sender As Object, _
                          ByVal e As EventArgs)[B] Handles Button1.Click[/B]
        Label1.Text = "You clicked the Button - well done!"
    End Sub
As you can see, there is nothing wrong with the code, but asp.net/vb8 didn't allow the Handles clause (although VB8 by itself obviously does). So, the easiest answer is to revert back to the old method, as so:

HTML
Code:
<asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" [B]onclick="TestButtonClick[/B][B]"[/B] Text="Button" />

VB8
or VB9
Code:
  Protected Sub TestButtonClick(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) 
        Label1.Text = "You clicked the Button - well done!"
    End Sub
VB8 does not have Linq support either :mad:... where as C#(ver 3) does and is supported in Mono (I love Linq!). So, just be aware of all those lovely new VB.Net features you can't use when porting your app to Mono (as you may know, VB10 is only a couple of months away, just to add to the headache).

OK, enough for now; post your testPage please. Apart from your issues at work, you should be very close to seeing your page work. Fingers crossed...