automatic sitemap.xml

bhanu211

Reaction score
www.xml-sitemaps.com is a very good and free tool. You just need to put your website URL and it will create a good xml sitemap.

But i am searching for a script which will create the xml sitemap automatically as soon as we upload a new page and no need to re-create or update the existing sitemap mannually.

If any one have fouind such script please answer here.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I believe you could use the Google Sitemap creator, and run a cron job weekly or so to update it.

freecrm

Reaction score
Before looking this up, I would have gone with Twinkie's idea, but I don't know how you can call an external page in a Cron job... :( - if its possible

After a bit of searching, it is possible to do in php.

Check out http://enarion.net/google/phpsitemapng/

It creates XML, rss, html or plain text outputs - ideal for any search engine.

All you need is to amend it a bit to automatically do your own site and set it as a cron job - job done!!!

I'm going to do this over the weekend!!

Last edited:

vol7ron

Reaction score
You can set a cron job to run any program. So any PHP or Perl spider for your site would work. The thing is, though, that sometimes you forget to create inter-page links. So creating a program to query the file system for certain extensions could possibly be a better option.

nterror

Reaction score
I remember reading that you can use the PHP exec() function to run Python scripts.

Searching "Python in PHP" produces examples.

I'm going to try running Google's Sitemap python script in PHP when I get home.

thanver

Reaction score
Thanks for providing the website for creating sitemaps.

Can anyone tell me what is a cron job
Thanks