Back to Basics ( HTML )

iggypop

Reaction score
Help Needed with HTML

Hi
I pretty new to web design so please excuse my ignorance. I have, perhaps foolishly, at different times edited my webpages using various applications , notepad,microsoft word ,Frontpage Dreamweaver , and the X10 HTML editing facility.
I find now I have lots of code other than basic HTML( which is all I really want at the moment ) that I dont really understand , each application seems to have added it's own stuff.
I find now I'm getting problems, for instance the page background keeps disappearing .
Is there an easy way to strip all the extra stuff and get back to basic HTML?
http://pilgrimtravels.exofire.net/

Hpe this is an OK forum for this posting?

Thanks iggypop

Last edited:

Mooseman

Reaction score
The reason is the Microsoft coding that gets added when you use word.
You probably have Office 2003 or newer

You have to take it away one by one.
I suggest you stick to one non MS editor only, and rebuild your page.
Its not that big a job ;)

curt15

Reaction score
Wow... MS do put a lot of rubbish in there. You are going to need to rebuild your site. Go download the trial version of dreamweaver, it will take less than an hour to do.

iggypop

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for your help I guess theres nothing for it but to rebuild , and stick to one application ( perhaps not Microsoft) .

Iggypop

curt15

Reaction score
Don't touch MS, it sticks in way too much code that isn't needed. Better still learn how to do it properly.

Synkc

Reaction score
I suggest you take a look at some of the HTML tutorials from http://w3schools.com, and, as mentioned before, use the trial version of Adobe Dreamweaver, which can be downloaded for free from their website.

And another suggestion; don't use automatic 'tag creators', 'image places', or any thing else which is automated in a program; the best way to learn a language is to type out everything; you'll understand the structure quickly, and more importantly, correctly, and in the long run, become a more efficient coder.

Believe me, start off on the right foot, and HTML will soon be a breeze for you. ;)

Last edited:

iggypop

Reaction score
Thanks Synkc
I'll take yoor advice
I have learn't a bit of html alredy but it does take some time .

iggypop

Reaction score
Hi
I found this site that, that strips all the word stuff from the HTML , reduces the file size by about 75% !
I totally accept what you guys advice and will learn more html and avoid microsoft .
but this is pretty cool.

Loneua Technologies

Reaction score
I think that it looks okay. Too basic, go get a 30 day trial of Photoshop or Dreamweaver or of Quarkexpress. Good job for your first time though!