BackTrack Linux?

ophiel

Reaction score
Hello

I have a spare old machine Athlon 1 GhZ, 256RAM, 10GB, WiFi Atheros. I want there a sshd and aircrack-ng/airodump collection.

Is BackTrack a good choice? Anybody knows how it works?

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I've never tried it, but from what I've heard, it's really stable. I'm not sure about the sshd and aircrack-ng/airodump collection though.

xPlozion

Reaction score
i use backtrack to check my network settings and a few other things. as an installed os, i don't know as i only use the live cd.

if you want to install those programs, then as i always praise, Arch Linux is a suitable os. It's very lightweight, easy to setup, and i use it as a headless server. by default, the install is very small, and only install's the basics (things that are very important to have a linux install running). there's no xorg server, no desktop managers, just the bare bones basics. It's great on old systems, since it's so light, but can be made into a powerhouse.

i've used it on an old p2 system w/ 126mb ram and it ran just as fast (with openbox running that is).

jenya

Reaction score
i have Backtrack 3 installed on a USB stick, it works fine

Picard1595

Reaction score
I like backtrack 3 it works well and has quite a few good network utilities. I also like arch for my new computers and puppy dog linux for my older computers.