Backups and You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Let me first start this off by saying that you should always keep a local backup of your data. You never know what will go wrong and it's a good habit to get into.

We have just put a new backup server online with almost double the capacity of our old one. The backups are incremental which means the very first backup(the seed) takes a while to complete. After the seed is done each additional snapshot is built off of the changes to the seed making them go fairly quick. I would estimate this will finish today but it could take until tomorrow.

We do not use the standard cPanel backup because of the resources it uses... each backup created by it copies your files then zips them up. You can imagine what kind of stress this puts on the server when 20 people do this at the same time. Instead our backup system copies data at the sector level which is much more efficient.

Also, our backup system is now backed up itself to prevent it from failing in the future at a critical period.

Any questions?

zapzack

Reaction score
I have a question: Is there anyway we can download our backups off the backup server to our computers?

Last edited:

nchgaming

Reaction score
Thanks for the update Corey,

Does this also apply to the paid servers?

Could requesting the ability to do full local backups (have the option installed) on a per request only, even with time of execution restrictions ...Like "This backup operation can only run between X:XX-X:XX. Please run the program during that timeframe." This way, allowing those who find local copies important, on a limited basis, so users, can use these backups to do things like 'LocalHost' on their own machine. This way they can do extensive experimenting with their site, without actually screwing up the real site.

If this remains to be NOT a possiblity on the free servers, could we get this by moving to your paid servers? If I can't get this on the free servers, but could get this on the paid servers I'd be VERY likely to request an immediate move! *pulls out credit card* (More for 'piece of mind' than anything else)

zen-r

Reaction score
Last edited:

kram17

Reaction score
woooow... that's a taugh work to do... thank you for that..

is this back up thing is for the free user's? hmm anyway i back-up my files localy because we never know what will happen next..

whizynix02

Reaction score
This is great... files would be safer... hmmm i wonder how i can retrieve my files if ever it is lost...:dunno:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
The option to restore files will most likely be back tomorrow as long as the seeds finish.

Paid hosting does have the normal option to create a complete backup whenever the user wants, they also have access to the incremental file restores.

We won't offer the standard (copy & zip) backups on free hosting due to the high resource usage in any capacity.

For the new users... we offer an incremental backup service on both free and paid hosting that allows you to restore files from a select time period through cPanel. Free hosting will have a single restore point per day, paid hosting has 4.

-Corey

pulsar996

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here in x10 but from what I see, it pays to do backups yourself even if x10 does its own backup.

But looks like x10 is much better than other free web hosting service. Hope I would not be proven wrong.

Paul

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Lotus is the only one left to finish now.

jaceace

Reaction score
Nice to know that even new users get some "peace of mind" with the possibility for back ups. Anyway, I just back up locally as well.

Artheido

Reaction score
I decided to use Dreamweaver to edit files on my space. That way, I have a new backup of the file everytime I edit it.
icon14.gif

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Free hosting will have a single restore point per day, paid hosting has 4.

-Corey
How far back does this go? A set number of days? MB's? ... GB's?

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Instead of manually backing up my files in ZIP files or doing it using a program, I simply created a copy of my website on my local server, and created a SVN tree for each of my websites. Each time I want to improve my files I test it out on my server, then, when it is thoroughly tested, I commit (if not already done) and push it to the website.

johndass

Reaction score
Instead of manually backing up my files in ZIP files or doing it using a program, I simply created a copy of my website on my local server, and created a SVN tree for each of my websites. Each time I want to improve my files I test it out on my server, then, when it is thoroughly tested, I commit (if not already done) and push it to the website.

I also make a backup on my local hard disk of the website files, and edit them locally and test them before FTP them over to the website. But I am curious about your SVN tree and "commit" the changes to the the website - what is SVN and is there a form of code version control which is SVN? Sorry to ask as I am not so technical. Hope you can enlighten. TIA. :)

johndass

Reaction score
I also make a backup on my local hard disk of the website files, and edit them locally and test them before FTP them over to the website. But I am curious about your SVN tree and "commit" the changes to the the website - what is SVN and is there a form of code version control which is SVN? Sorry to ask as I am not so technical. Hope you can enlighten. TIA. :)

Can refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversion_(software)

Status
Not open for further replies.