Bad food?

Is it immoral to eat certain animals?

• Yes, absolutely. And anyone who eats those animals are wrong, even if they don't know it yet...

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No. As long as it ain't people, its fair game. Of course people is animals too...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only by cultural standards. I wouldn't eat dog though...

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No. Especially if that's the cultural thing. When in Rome, do Romans... Wait...

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

voice

Reaction score
A simple enough question: Is it immoral (or wrong) to eat certain foods?
In France, you can find horse on some menus. In Korea, you can enjoy a tasty dog soup. In America, you can unwittingly be served cat at some Chinese restaurants... Is it wrong to eat certain animals? Are the people who choose to eat them immoral?

You be the judge!

QuwenQ

Reaction score
The only thing I find immoral is that people think it's WRONG to eat a horse or a dog when eating a cow that can feel as much pain as a dog or a horse is perfectly acceptable. That's very hypocritical in my opinion.

And:
http://www.meat.org/

Last edited:

Laos101

Reaction score
It needs to be prepared properly and eaten properly. and Killed fairly

I will always eat anything that is prepared and eaten properly. People who claim vegetarianism over bad places where chickens go nuts and etc.

Afterburn

Reaction score
Im be biggest beast out, I believe that we are carnivores for the most part and that how we have been forever. Have you ever seen a lion kill his dinner? Its really raw and nasty, so why would it be bad to kill something like food? Its part of the food chain.

Swiblet

Reaction score
I personally think that it's horrible to kill a certain type of animal, like dolphins or monkeys...but that is just because of how I was raised. It is hypocritical, since I eat beef and such, but I can't help feeling that way. It all depends on how you were raised, the culture, the ethics of your community, and...maybe...how the meat tastes? xDD

~~B3N

voice

Reaction score
Okay, since I started this thread, I suppose it's time I add my two cents.

I've eaten dog.

I know, I know! I'm a monster, right? Maybe... I lived in Korea for two years. Dog is a delicacy in Korea. Because I speak the language, I ended up eating a lot of strange Korean food (Silk worm larvae, anyone? Yummy....) but none was so strange as dog. Eating dog seems to have a certain stigma attached to it in the western world that I just don't get. If you eat at enough discount Chinese buffets (although chicken soaked in MSG is not actually a Chinese dish...), you'll probably eat dog or cat sooner or later.

So, I've eaten dog. Dog soup. It's a delicacy. Tastes oddly like duck. But, before anyone condemns me, it was a cultural experience. I went to a little restaurant, called the Persimmon Tree House, with a group of coworkers. We all had to take off our shoes to go inside, we sat on the floor, we ate it with chopsticks. Plus, it's not like we were eating some stray. Dogs are kept as pets in Korea, but there's a certain breed that's raised just for eating, and the dogs for eating are treated like livestock, not like pets.

That said... I'm not eating dog again, most likely. It's not becasue I find it immoral, though. Dog is just too greasy.

-Jake

cHaRuS

Reaction score
I guess it's never immoral as far as your innerself doesn't know what you're eating.

as the bible says, it's just a conscience matter.

QuwenQ

Reaction score
Im be biggest beast out, I believe that we are carnivores for the most part and that how we have been forever. Have you ever seen a lion kill his dinner? Its really raw and nasty, so why would it be bad to kill something like food? Its part of the food chain.
It's how it's killed in modern days. There's nothing natural about factory farm throat-slitting machines.

mattura

Reaction score
The last three options are actually quite similar, I find myself agreeing with them all!
I've eaten some strange things - from snails to kangaroo steak. I may have unknowingly eaten cat (you can never be too sure with Russian meat).
But I'm healthy and happy, and it would be much harder (for me) to stay healthy if I was veggie, the balance is tricky and food is more awkward to prepare. Also I would feel bad about making things difficult for the host of any dinner I went to.
I can't say I have feelings for animals - no need to hurt them unnecessarily, and I take care of my cat; but if I was starving and there was no other food, I'd eat him!
Animals have nerves that feel pain, but that is for self-preservation and reproduction - they act on instinct.
I don't believe animals love humans, they just figure out that they can use humans for a better life, sometimes by showing signs of 'affection'. Why do humans love animals (not to eat)? I suppose because they are predictable.
A stranger in the street might give you something you want (directions, money, a lift...) or mug you. But you can be sure an animal will always act in it's own interests, and on a basic level. It will go after you for food, but it won't kill you on the offchance that you have food.

rbbrbg

Reaction score
It's simple really, any animal that is an endangered species, or becoming one, should not be eaten. All others are fair game. How can it be different to eat a cow or a dog? It's only emotions that prevent the one.

warlordste

Reaction score
its not immoral its up to the person different views for different people

-AwaR-

Reaction score
No one should be able to eat any animal that would be considered a "pet" ie bird, dog, cat.

excluding things like farm animals that some ppl do call there "pets"
but eating an animal like a cat or a dog, is just wronge.