Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Internet Explorer

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Chrome

Votes: 31 12.4%

• Total voters

swirly

Reaction score
I use Chrome. But only because I kept having problems when I upgraded to FF3. So I switched. FF kept crashing and freezing and I saw that alot of people were also having problems and said that Mozilla was doing nothing to remedy it.

eliasr

Reaction score
@eliasr:
FYI, if you want lightweight rather than flexibility, there are many other browsers using the Gecko engine that fit this bill. One of them, K-Meleon, is able to use some Firefox add-ons and most Add-ons can be ported (with some work).

That is misinformation, Opera is not the innovator of any of those things.
Netcaptor is the real innovator of the tabs. Mozilla got the idea from them.

Opera innovated the search bar? Seriously doubtful. Even so, I don't see how that counts as innovative. Integrating the search bar into common applications was being done already.

Websplit (defunct) was the first for "speed dial". Additionally, it's too early to say it's innovative. We will see its culmination only after it is put in by default in Firefox. It is my opinion that Chrome's slick implementation will end up being closer to the de facto. Who cares about binding a number, and who wants to manually configure each one? You mind explaining that to grandma?

Why only when Firefox puts the speed-dial by default we can say: "inovating"... is not the most used [i use ff long time ago], is not the only open-source, is not the more inoveting... mmm... maybe.... yes... is the browser more adopted in the last years, but im sure you have a better history.

Here is more explained what i want to say.

Q: Doesn't Opera copy all of their features from other browsers?
A: Absolutely not. In fact, many of the features that are popular in other browsers today were invented and pioneered by Opera a long time ago. Opera invented the precursor to tabs (in 1994), Page Zoom (1994), was the first browser to block pop-up ads (2000), first to add a Search field in the browser toolbar (2000), Sessions (1996), deleting private data (2000), Mouse Gestures (2000), User JavaScript (2005), BitTorrent support (2005), Widgets (2006), Speed Dial (2007), and much more.

info from: opera.com & operawatch.com, i should put this quote in my first post.

Iventented [precursor] + popular... sounds like inovating.

K-meleon... worst K-meleon only work in Windows. ='(, ok, for lightweight in linux i can use lynx or cadaver, yeah!!

Last edited:

idiil

Reaction score
To be considered anything near "innovative", yes, UI enhancements like speed dial need to be proven by the masses to be a significant boost to the user experience. A browser with 2% market share (Opera) does not show that.

The operawatch.com quote is interesting. I'm surprised they would claim such things. Although, it's from an evangelist's blog, so it's probably not to be taken seriously. And quick research shows most of those claims to be sketchy.

K-Meleon is lightweight, uses Gecko, and can be made to work with many Firefox plug-ins. I mentioned it because you were complaining about using it on a low end computer and that you liked the old FF better.
Not sure why it has anything to do with lynx, or cadaver the WebDAV client.
If you want browsers for linux, there are other alternatives to choose from.

Mobile browsers may be a different case. And really, speed dial is for the phones. It may be an innovation for the phones. If Opera can take the mobile market and keep to their word of holding to standards, that would be great. But that's a different discussion.

Last edited:

Teensweb

Reaction score
I use Chrome. But only because I kept having problems when I upgraded to FF3. So I switched. FF kept crashing and freezing and I saw that alot of people were also having problems and said that Mozilla was doing nothing to remedy it.
But I dont have much trouble with FF3 now, seems that they've fixed it in their updates.

Arashiodori

Reaction score
I'd never even face anything wrong with Firefox.

Sure, it might have crashed, but it should be expected.

I'm running Minefield, Firefox 3.2a1pre after all.

Besides, it's not like Chrome/Opera/IE doesn't crash.

On SunSpider webtests, Firefox is currently the fastest for me...

eliasr

Reaction score
This thread ask for the best, not popularity, not what is more used by the masses, wich is the most popular, their% in the market.

And the best is Opera.

Last edited:

idiil

Reaction score
I'd never even face anything wrong with Firefox.

Sure, it might have crashed, but it should be expected.

I'm running Minefield, Firefox 3.2a1pre after all.

Besides, it's not like Chrome/Opera/IE doesn't crash.
Seriously. With the Opera zealot rants, you'd think Firefox was the only browser in the world that has ever crashed. As if all those major crash bugs in Opera 9.2 and 9.5 never existed. Not to mention Opera has an official "fix" for instability where it basically resets everything.

On SunSpider webtests, Firefox is currently the fastest for me...
Really? I haven't really looked at the progress lately, but I would have expected Chrome to still win on SunSpider. SunSpider is mostly a JavaScript benchmark, which V8 is quite good at.
You should take a look at Dromaeo and the V8 benchmarks.

I'm interested to see how Carakan really turns out. Sounds to be, and probably will be, pretty impressive.
Especially after Opera got roasted by the SunSpider benchmarks.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
This thread ask for the best, not popularity, not what is more used by the masses, wich is the most popular, their% in the market.

And the best is Opera.

Often, market leaders are market leaders because they're the best.

theexefiles

Reaction score
Definately Firefox 3 :) I probably couldn't live without all my lovely extentions. I'm not too bothered by aesthetics for it because the default theme isn't too fugly to make me want to change it, lol.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I like windows, and Intel much better than Linux and AMD but I am not crazy enough to say internet explorer is better than Firefox...

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Ja! Internet Explorer is the best? Windows id the best? Dell is the best? Intel is the best?... the Backstreetboys were the best? :lol:

:nuts:

I said MOST of the time. And Intel and Windows are the best (but not Dell). :biggrin:

idiil

Reaction score
Wtf if flock?
http://flock.com/

The "social" browser.
Basically Firefox modded for social networking.
Edit:
I said MOST of the time. And Intel and Windows are the best (but not Dell). :biggrin:
Why are you even bothering to continue with eliasr's inane argument?
His argument is basically: "random unrelated popular stuff is not best, therefore Firefox is not best. Opera is best, because I say so. And no, I don't need to support it with any reasonable explanation. Here are some smilies to make my point more convincing."

Not to mention, we are talking about Firefox's success in the face of Internet Explorer at nearly 100% market share bundled with Windows. Anybody who tries to deny that Firefox's success is anything less than it being superior, is nuts or just plain ignorant.

Last edited:

ikkyino

Reaction score
I like chormes interface best.. but it doesn't always work.. so i use firefox for everything else.

ssdtonoy

Reaction score
Look there is no point in making this poll. Mozilla firefox is going to win this really fast. That is because of it so much popularity with its plugins. The plugin developers, thank you all.

nterror

Reaction score
Flock is Mozilla Firefox with MySpace, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Atom/RSS, and other social networking features built in.

If you vote for Flock, you're voting for Mozilla Firefox.

Last edited: