Battle of the free forum softwares!

blackhnd

Reaction score
This thread is basically a user-contributed comparison of the popular free forum softwares (PHP Only).

The contestants are:
phpBB 3.0.x
MyBB 1.4.x
SMF 2.0 beta 4
SMF 1.1.x
MyBB 1.2.x

Compare and discuss the finer points of these softwares here, also feel free to add your own.

Salvatos

Prime Account
Reaction score
I vote for phpBB 2 because it won't be updated anymore XD

On a more general note, I like phpBB because of its structure and the huge number of MODs you can add quite easily to your forum. The functionality has always seemed to correspond exactly to my needs, with sometimes the help of a MOD or two if something was missing.
What I dislike is how intricate the coding is, but yet again, I guess it must be the case for all others as well.

blackhnd

Reaction score
Hmm... Interesting argument.

I prefer MyBB 1.4 because it has all the core features that vBulletin 3.7 has, and requires no file edits to install mods, thanks to the hook system, and a WYSIWYG editor for ease of posting. You can also easily modify the templates to suit your needs, and the admin panel is a dream.

Fearghal

Reaction score
Hmm... Interesting argument.

I prefer MyBB 1.4 because it has all the core features that vBulletin 3.7 has, and requires no file edits to install mods, thanks to the hook system

I completely agree! I hated installing mods on my phpbb3 board because if I mistyped a single character my board would be giving errors left, right and center!

MyBB 1.4 lets you simply click "Activate" and voila! Its a breeze.

Although, MyBB 1.4 doesnt have a WYSIWYG editor. . .

Mybb 1.4 lacks a few features I would like for eg the Paid Subscriptions which some other BB software. It also looks a bit. . .chunky on the catagory bars. . .

Anyway, MyBB 1.4 has to be my choice, Its super duper and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to set up a board!

Best Regards,
Fearghal