been a while...NOW I'm PEVED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

caffei47

Reaction score
ok, ALL I have running on my site IS AN SMF FORUM, and AT MOST, I've only EVER had 14 people online...14!!!!! and although there is a SLIGHT amount of activity, THERE SHOULDNT BE ENOUGH TO HIT THE RESOURCE LIMIT OVER 20 TIMES IN ONE FREAKING DAY...WTF GUYS???!!!

now I'm sorry for my all caps spamming bit there, but seriously...what the eff...I ONLY HAVE A FORUM...I deleted EVERYTHING other then my forum, so there is nothing else on my site using ANY resources what so ever...come on guys...dont get me wrong, I love your free hosting system, and have really badly wanted to BUY your paid hosting...but at this point, youve got me really peved *cencored word* and now, as much as you guys are ticking me off, and as much as I LOVE your hosting...I feel as if I am being forced into buying your hosting...granted I can do so now, and wanted to upon gaining the ability to buy things online on wednesday, but what gives here???

its not going to be an issue *I HOPE* after this monday, but still...this is just bad guys...shesh...20 times, my site has thrown "resource limit hit" for me and my NEW members...that I've been waiting to get SINCE JANUARY...so its not just me, and when its not throwing that error, and its still not working, then the site appears as though it doesnt even exist....doesnt load, doesnt error out, nothing...

come on guys...can we PLEASE get this fixed...even if just until monday/tuesday of this following week??

I love your hosting, dont get me wrong, but this is just bad...however, I am STILL going to be buying the paid hosting...this hasnt diswaded me, but shesh guys...

Jessica.C

Prime Account
Reaction score
just wondering, are you getting it almost every hour? but it remains for less than an hour? I have been having that problem for a while

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
SMF may not be the heaviest thing you can run, but it does consume its fair share of resources. You can say "only a forum", but there's a lot going on in a forum, and that gets worse with every new topic and category. It's just the nature of that sort of software -- forums with multiple rooms and "last reply" ordering are among the most resource-intensive applications commonly used -- and you don't need to have a huge number of users hammering the server constantly. (In fact, if you use the caching option, the number of reading users, as opposed to posting users, doesn't have much of an affect on the resource usage at all since the queries used to build the cache will only be updated after a posting is written.) SMF is heavy enough that moderately active forums on paid shared hosting (not necessarily on x10's servers) often run into resource usage difficulties. Do a web search for SMF resource usage. I get about a half-million hits for it on Google.

Now, fourteen users isn't exactly Facebook territory, but each of those users is causing a lot of database queries and HTML-building every time they hit a page -- more for the home page and the forum indexes than within a thread, so the less your users are doing the more work they're causing. I haven't taken a look at your site, but bringing down the number of forums visible from the home page and the number of threads visible from the forum index pages will do a lot to reduce the load. You can also try playing with the cache settings (if you're at 0, try raising it to 1), although this might have a minimal affect with the user numbers you're reporting unless they're really avid posters.

caffei47

Reaction score
Yea, being a geek, I already thought and have caching at lvl 1...and just, I don't care anymore/right now...I'm at work and don't have time to realy reply...and I've got the money to pay for hosting come Monday...ill just look into paid hosting accounts on Monday and then choose one for the site... also, I don't know why its not lasting an hour...maube its just a slight second of too much resources or something...don't know, but I need to get back to work...my breaks over now...

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

welp, I THOUGHT i'd fixed this issue...seriously lessened the number of pages shown in the board summary, severely lessened the shown posts per page of a thread, and some other tweaks, AND STILL i get the resource limit hit error...WTF??!!

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

just wondering, are you getting it almost every hour? but it remains for less than an hour? I have been having that problem for a while
and pretty much, yea...

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
You should be able to view resource graphs in your cPanel.

300 seconds is currently the limit and is quite generous... if you do the math it allows you to use 1/12 of a CPU on a non stop basis. That means if everyone was at full capacity we would only be able to fit 12 users on the server for every physical core. We picked 300 as a happy-medium as most users are <100 seconds per hour, so 300 would allow for 'bursting' or peak times of the day.

If you are hitting 300 consistently and you do not have a decent amount of traffic I would guess something is wrong. From past experience the culprit generally lies in addons\plugins\themes or anything else 3rdparty. A single poorly coded line could be causing your issue.

While upgrading and throwing more power at the problem is always viable, if you want to save some cash I would try disabling addons\plugins and slowly re-enable them to see if you can better pinpoint what is causing the issue.

If you are suspended for multiple hours it's possible you went over the 300 seconds by a lot, off the top of my head I believe the stats are rechecked every 5 minutes. So if you had a runaway process open using 100%+ CPU it could easily bump up your usage way past 300 for the hour extending the limited time.

Jessica.C

Prime Account
Reaction score
You should be able to view resource graphs in your cPanel.

300 seconds is currently the limit and is quite generous... if you do the math it allows you to use 1/12 of a CPU on a non stop basis. That means if everyone was at full capacity we would only be able to fit 12 users on the server for every physical core. We picked 300 as a happy-medium as most users are <100 seconds per hour, so 300 would allow for 'bursting' or peak times of the day.

If you are hitting 300 consistently and you do not have a decent amount of traffic I would guess something is wrong. From past experience the culprit generally lies in addons\plugins\themes or anything else 3rdparty. A single poorly coded line could be causing your issue.

While upgrading and throwing more power at the problem is always viable, if you want to save some cash I would try disabling addons\plugins and slowly re-enable them to see if you can better pinpoint what is causing the issue.

If you are suspended for multiple hours it's possible you went over the 300 seconds by a lot, off the top of my head I believe the stats are rechecked every 5 minutes. So if you had a runaway process open using 100%+ CPU it could easily bump up your usage way past 300 for the hour extending the limited time.

any explanation as to why it remains for less than an hour?

Status
Not open for further replies.