best antivirus Norton or Mcafee

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattspec

Reaction score
preach on the neither haha, both are pretty close to junk, you need something lightweight not a hog nod32 is nice

arsonistx

Reaction score
McAfee has been known to create its own viruses. Norton is just a piece of crap anyways. I wouldn't use either one.

I would suggest using Kaspersky or Avast instead. They are much faster, safer, and better than any other anti-viruses I have found in the past.

Nod32 is also a good anti-virus as well. And for people that are familiar with running processes, and very advanced users, I would suggest HijackThis.

Last edited:

naresh

Reaction score
I prefer AVG AV for home users, as this is free, regularly updated and since I visit mostly secure sites I not have any problem from last few months .
Earlier I have Norton but it slows down the system very much so I uninstalled it !

Franc0

Reaction score
Best of Best..
Kaspersky
Nod32 2.7. not 3.0 (resource hog 3.0)
-------------------------
Kaspersky - Resource Hogger
Nod32 2.7 - Nos as Kaspersky in 0.85%
Kaspersky - 99.7 Virus Detection
Nod32 2.7 - 99.15 Virus Detection
Both Great..
I use Nod32 as my Pc doesnt have too many resources.

But i usually have it disabled, just have it to scan some files and do weekly in-deph scans, (beware: 3.0 is a resource hogger)

mutaz

Reaction score
NOD32, Kaspersky are good but the best ever is for advaced users is mcafee 2008 ultimate security , includes
anti virus
anti spyware and roottrigers
firewall for internet/local net/wireless net
remote access to any pc on the network by admin account
only the server need internet updates
sis anti virus for symbian mobile devices included

the main problem is it need 4GB RAM with a 2.4+ processor or higher

so stick with NOD32 it is the best for normal users

sathyabhat

Reaction score
Just to re-iterate what others said, Norton and McAfee both drain resources like anything. For something free Avast/AVG is really good, for paid stuff, NOD32/Kaspersky it is!

crazyoxie

Reaction score
I heard that Kaspersky is the best antivirus of 2007. Not sure if it's true or not. I haven't tried it out also.

I'm using free antivirus at the moment. AVG is still the best after I tried some free stuff like Antivir which gives out annoying popped up ads even though it was recommended by some people when I did a search for free antivirus.

Conmiro

Reaction score
People prefer Norton because its, "the big brand". Norton is a stupid program. Dont use it. They may claim to be good but they slow down your computer and provide little protection. Mcafee is a program I never heard of but im sure its better than Norton.
Edit:
I use windows defender, it has kept my computer alive for about 5 years. Its still alive too.
Edit:
Kaspersky has gotten pretty good reviews. You may want to check it out.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
McAfee is just as bad as Norton. That was the first anti-virus I had really, and it used to be good until all of the annoying things came and the good things such as good heuristics and virus definitions disappeared... now, even the free antivirus programs such as AVG (which will no longer be free soon D:) and Avast, along with Panda security's and Windows Live's online scanner can find more things than Norton or McAfee for FREE! At least McAfee's updater isn't as much of a resource hog as Norton's is, which is a plus though. I find it really funny how the only things that don't have bloat in them are the free stuff. All of the pay stuff has bloat software on them now, or just software that likes to kill the system for a bit.

If you want paid protection, go with Kerpasky. Best thing out there. For Free, go with Panda, Antivir, or Avast. AVG will no longer be free in a few days. Also to Vista haters, there's such a thing called Windows Defender that helps keep the crap out. It's a very quiet program and is very small in memory usage. Use it.

Last edited:

Conmiro

Reaction score
Kaspersk sounds good then. I didint know about McAfee. Thanks for warning me. Kaspersk seems to be the choice you should choose. It has the best reviews compared to many different programs.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
It's also been proven to have the best detection rates as well. A member of my forum months ago posted an image of some detailed tests a group of people did to 20+ different brands of software, both free and paid. While Norton and McAfee were fairly low on the list, AOL's Security Center, which is technically re-branded McAfee and Kerpasky, were both at the top of the list for the most detected. Kerpasky, however defeated AOL's anti-virus by a bit. This group of people I think had a collection of well over 36,000 computer viruses that they threw at each piece of software. I'll have to find out the exact numbers for that really.

EDIT: Here's the topic on my forum. For anyone who wants the numbers, click this link.

http://seansite.dyndns.org/forums/index.php?topic=140.0

Last edited:

Showa

Reaction score
The most important thing to remember is AVOID AVG AT ALL COSTS. It thinks everything is a virus, i can't stand it.

My two favorites are ESET NOD32 and Kaspersky. Google them, they are almost perfect.

rayvyn

Reaction score
there is no single great antyvirus, i tellyou this because i personally ran tests on an infected machine,

I tested the exact configuration with avast,nod32,mcaffe,norton, and kaspersky, and each one would detect viruses that the others wouldn't , (all of the antivirus engines where the latest ones)
althoug i would have to say that Kaspersky and Avast prove to be the most effectife thoughh

moreuse

Reaction score
i suggest Kaspersky, its fast and can "disinfect" infected files :D
but if you want free antivirus, use AntiVir personal. its free, fast, and effective.

i really not recommend norton or mc affee, both eating too many resource and not simple.

kaspersky is the easiest antivirus i ever used, and it really can take care all my infected files :D

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Norton I guess also causes big problems with Windows XP SP3. One reason why not to get it, but it's a simple fix really.

DemptD

Reaction score
I use Zonealarm, it has firewall and antivirus. Is it any good? I just took it because it had both firewall and antivirus :dunno:

TalMC

Reaction score
None of these are good products. They are considered resource hog - and a waste of money. If I were you, I were to download either AVG Free (which now comes with AVG Anti Spyware) or Anti-Vir Free by Avira. Or, you can get NOD32 which costs money but it's really is a great product. Very light on your system too.

coolnos

Reaction score
You're Kidding Right???? :D Norton or McAfee!!! HA... you made me laugh...

well, for me i use NOD32 but the smart security package because i hate the windows firewall equipped in both XP and Vista...

it works great, consumed no more than 5MB to 20MB RAM Maximum, and has a very simple user interface (easy-to-use)... and there's a 64-bit edition of it...

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.