best antivirus Norton or Mcafee

Status
Not open for further replies.

sclewin

Reaction score
If you use Linux, BSD, or to a lesser extent, Mac, you don't even need an anti-virus. With that said, all anti-viruses are not that good as a large number of professionals suggest to re-install windows if you find viruses. This is becasue for every virus you find there will be about ten more you have not found; they are like cockroaches. If you don't believe me you can test it youself. Install and scan a computer that haves multiple viruses with several different anti-virus software. You will notice each one finding a different set of vituses. Anti-spyware, another thing Linux and BSD don't need to worry about, is the same way.

eliasr

Reaction score
that is wrong, i use Antivir and take my hard drive to the university and scaned in the school computer [NOD32 and Norton] and in my frind's laptops [McAfee] and never found others viruses, maybe spyware, but just because some anti-spyware take "logs" history or "recent" lists like a possible vulnerability.

apbios

Reaction score
McAfee is by far better than Norton because Norton has been experienced many customer issues. A family member just recently got a new Norton and it never installed perfectly (on the XP) until after contacting the support and eventually after a month it got fixed. But still, I don't recommend getting any of those since they can't even detect the simplest of viruses.

allinone

Reaction score
i have good experience with kaspersky too, its fast and effective....

Jesse

Reaction score
Stick with Eset! :)

Though if you will choose between Norton and McAfee... Choose McAfee. ;)

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
You will never get rid of Norton in my experience. McAfee is by far the best out of the 2, and I think its the best out of all of them.

Alex

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
There's a tool on the Symantec site for fully uninstalling Norton. It says it should only be used when the normal uninstaller doesn't work, but I can't see the harm in running it anyway.

D

Deathvalley122

they both suck I dont use either same with avg the best one out that uses less resources is NOD32 it will monitor your activies and uh it will update its database when it sees a virus anywhere out there

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
There's a tool on the Symantec site for fully uninstalling Norton. It says it should only be used when the normal uninstaller doesn't work, but I can't see the harm in running it anyway.

They say that, but I have yet to uninstall norton fully with any automated tool - it always seems to leave some unwanted stuff on your computer.

Alex

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
The tool doesn't leave unwanted things on your computer. When I've had to run it for a few computers I've had to fix, the uninstaller that came with Norton was very buggy and failed to even remove the software. After getting the uninstaller from Symantec's public FTP, I ran it and it got a rid of EVERYTHING including itself at the end, and left nothing behind. I've found AOL and iTunes to leave more junk behind than Symantec's products, but Symantec's products have horrible uninstallers.

x10cyberman

Reaction score
Between Norton and Mcafee, I choose the last one. But I think that Kapersky and NOD32 are good choices. Also AVG Free Edition is a good choice for personal use and no cost.

NotAlame

Reaction score
I'm using 2 antivirus + internet protection: BitDefender and Kaspersky!

But I tried Nod32 and it's a good and full pc protector for slow and fast PCs!

yuhomen

Reaction score
I suggest you use kaspersky, its very slow, but also very effective.
Mcaffee is a good choice also but doesn't clean up alot but its quite effective nontheless

JuniorD

Reaction score
Norton. I have a friend who is a computer analyzer and "fixer" he recommended symantec products hands down.

Daniel S

Reaction score
I would say Norton because MacAfee stopped all of my computer working. But i never use any of these at the moment I am using kaspersky but when my serial number runs out i will just use AVG 8.

cooldude101

Reaction score
I am currently using Norton and it sucks. Mcafee I have used also and not very impressed with it.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I got a free 3 year subscription to McAfee SecurityCentre when I bought my Laptop (Jan 2007) and so far I really like it. There were a couple of annoying bugs/things that could be better in the earlier versions, but these seem to have improved.

I've never used Norton, but I have used ZoneAlarm and that is OK, but not great.

Last edited:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Mcafee is definitely better than Nortorn but they are both outdated AV. The top three are Nod32, Kaspersky and Bitdefender. Im not sure exactly which is better between Bitdefender or Kasperky but I trust Kaspersky more. Use it is you are worried about viruses. It has the best detection and protection. Use Nod32 if you don't care that much and don't want your computer slowed down. Really a good install and forget solution.

~Twinkie

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Norton; I've had issues with McAfee in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.