Best CMS for a gaming site?

memoryz

Reaction score
Im looking for a NICE CMS such as Joomla, for my gaming website.

It will contain gaming news,reviews,videos,forums,etc

Any ideas?

memoryz

Reaction score
I tried joomla before, not all that great tho.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Clinton

Reaction score
Well, you said you didn't like Jomola but I'd list that, Wordpress & Drupal are all good for creating a game site.

ah-blabla

Reaction score
Joomla is nice and simple to set up, but you might also want to consider Drupal. I do much prefer Joomla for making community sites though, since it offers great plugins like CommunityBuilder and now there are quite a few forum plugins too, as well as gallery plugins, which are all quite easy to use. (Drupal plugin installation I find is a bit more fiddly, but then again, installation only needs to be done once...)

taha116

Reaction score
Joomla 1.5 owns... There is a wordpress plugin that you cannot download from their site. A special one its a entire integrated forum for wordpress so that could work... SMF with Simple Portal wirch is a mod will prbably be best suited. It has a download system addon many gallery addons wich support videos. The portal is great for news and reviews with its article system and its news block funtion so honestly SMF is your best choice, infact back when i had a clan i used SMF for my site.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I would highly recommend Joomla as well. Why do you not think it's that great?

Coonz

Reaction score
Joomla and Drupal are the two best CMS's. If your looking for an easy cms to customize and build upon go with php-fusion. As I said, Joomla and Drupal are the BEST but not the easiest to build upon/learn.

BTW igaming cms is dead.

Last edited:

xexes255

Reaction score
Joomla and Drupal can be overkill according to what you are doing.

If you only have a few pages that you want CMS'ed, consider something much smaller like CutePHP : users, categories, avitars, permissions, templates, comments...

When it comes to gaming/clan websites CutePHP and likenesses are used far more often than Drupal and Joomla. However I have yet to find a CMS with a small learning curve.

If you have considerably more than that you might want to go for the mainstream CMS like Drupal and Joomla, they have all of that, extensions, themes, and a versioning/rollback system. These CMS are much larger in file sizes, but are consistently known to 'just work'.

Coonz

Reaction score
Don't forget security. just because you'd rather not use an advanced CMS I wouldn't use a vulnerable one.

You could always check comments on opensourcecms.com

Granted they aren't always correct or valid but gives you an idea on what people think about it.

nextlvl

Reaction score
I agree with the others. Joomla is a great CMS, but i prefer wordpress as It is more easier to edit around with and add some of your own scripts. Where as Joomla can get a bit buggy and when you see a theme and install it. You then regret the theme you bought because its not what it is. But I would personally stick with wordpress. They have really awesome plugins and its super easy to edit and make some custom stuff.