Best DNS Service...

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
I used to like afraid.org but I tried to hook it up with my domain but then it messed my index up showing the afraid page but then it wouldn't show my site.. I allowed it to use the x10 name servers but is there any that you guys recommend so I can forward irc.mydomain.com to my irc server for an IP. I know for a fact that afraid should work some how but I have to figure it out..

rockee

Reaction score
Try the free service at zoneedit.com - free for the first 5 domains.

I use it and find I have full DNS control including forwarding and MX etc.

Regards,
Rocky

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
Hmm I will give it a try but I was wondering if register.com had and dns services and which domain registar has the best domain services. Also would it be able to link with my x10 account?

Last edited:

rockee

Reaction score
Your not after a stand alone DNS service like afraid.org or zoneedit etc. but a domain name registrar if your thinking register.com.

GoDaddy has a good reputation and very good domain name prices and yes all domain name registrars will allow you to forward your DNS to your hosting service like X10Hosting.

Regards,
Rocky.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
Right now I am with register.com I got the "free" domain and I have tried adding the x10 DNS entries first and then adding the afraid.org but then it doesn't really work then I just tried adding the site you gave me their DNS with the x10 ones is there anyway to make it where I use afraid.org's DNS but then I can use x10's hosting?

rockee

Reaction score
No, you need to use register.com where your domain is registered and only forward that domain name to X10Hosting.

ns1.x10hosting.com 208.43.202.204
ns2.x10hosting.com 67.228.168.189

Check and make sure the IPs are correct and only use the IP addresses if requested by register.com - usually they are not required.

Don't try and forward DNS to afraid.org as it will not work.

Regards,
Rocky

Last edited:

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
Then how would I make it so I can have it forward IRC.mydomain.com to my IP which register.com doens't have DNS services..

rockee

Reaction score
Try posting your question on the X10 tech support forum - Free Hosting.

That forum will be able to help with your individual DNS issue.

Tech support at register.com may also be able to help if you care to ask them.

I have no knowledge about register.com only how the Internet DNS works.

AFAIK, what you are trying to do can only be done by directing your DNS service for the free mydomain.com name to X10Hosting's nameservers at register.com and then creating a sub-domain irc.mydomain.com on your free X10Hosting account via the cPanel.

You can use your free mydomain.com name at X10Hosting by using the Addon Domain feature in cPanel, then you may create the irc.mydomain.com sub-domain using the cPanel feature once again.

Do a search of the forum for addon or parking or DNS etc to see if there is any posts that may help you to understand how hosting and the DNS at X10Hosting works.

I can't help you any more on this issue as I have no knowledge of what arrangements you have with register.com - if you are meant to host your free mydomain.com at the place you acquired the free domain from, then you will not be able to host that mydomain.com at X10Hosting because you will not be able to transfer the DNS service to X10Hosting.

Regards,
Rocky

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
You can request us to add an A entry to your zone file for the irc record.