Best GPU upgrade

jneves92

Reaction score
Hi,
Ive got a Geforce 7500 on my computer and I was thinking about upgrading to a newer card. I was thinking about the Geforce 9600GT, but Im not sure if thats the best option on the market, but anyway Im looking for something around that price, a middle-range card will do just perfectly.

thanks

Mrd900

Reaction score
I would check out the Ati Radeon HD 4850. It costs roughly $190. It is DirectX 10.1 and Shader Model 4.1 compatible. Here is a link to a review by The Tech Report

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
The GeForce 9 series cards I hear right now are suffering from overheating issues. If anything, stick with the nVidia 8800 series or wait until the next nVidia chip comes out, or go with ATi, the card that the above poster mentioned.

GBH187

Reaction score
get a Ati4850 you wont be dissapointed judging by the reviews.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Well firstly check what kind of slot you have, whether AGP, PCI, or PCI-E.

If you've got PCI-E, a good budget card is an 8600GT. My 256 MB 8600GT can handle Crysis, COD4, and GRID on medium settings and 2x AA. If you really want quality you could go for an 8800 (my next upgrade most likely)

PatrickH

Reaction score
Hang on,

I thought nVidia released a GTX 260 and 280 to replace the 9 series.

Any good?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't think they released that yet since they just came out with the 9 series cards a few months ago. I might be wrong, but ATi and nVidia are battling eachother badly this time.

brutetal

Reaction score
Yeah, Nvidia released them and there's a 150$ - 100$ price drop on them after the first week of release.

ATI 4800 series has about the same performance for a cheaper price but once overclocked it should give the same performance or more. They have a small problem with temperature, when they release a new update for catalyst it should be fixed.

Hazirak

Reaction score
The GeForce 9 series cards I hear right now are suffering from overheating issues.
If my case is anything to go by, it may be because the fan controller for whatever reason lets the card idle at 50-60C. With the fan registering as off.

Fixed this by... wait for it... manually setting the fan speed.

Watched it drop 10-15 degrees in a matter of minutes.

Last edited:

kennbona

Reaction score
well, the 9600GT... you wont be disappointed... i've got the EVGA 9600GT model with 512Mb GDDR3 and it's good for playing most games.. I play Assassins Creed All Maxed out with 4X AA, NFS Pro Street, All maxed out again.. COD4 Maxed out again and i've never had lag.. oy he btw i'm limited by my processor's power as i have an old Pentium D 945 3.4Ghz.. this limits my frame rates but i still have no problems..

Maybe waiting for the 9800Gt's prices to fall a bit more would be an other option.. i'm sure they are better than the 9600Gt

Lu5ck

Reaction score
At times you can buy "x2" card as compared to the latest single high-end card, it will be cheaper and have comparable performance.