Best scripting language online and offline

chris218

Reaction score
What is your idea of the "best" scripting language online and offline.

If you post back, don't just say X Y and Z, give your reasons, such as scalabiliy, speed, ease etc etc.

My ideas of "best"

internet scripting language is probebly PHP.

- Fairly easy to understand
- Powerful
- quick
- Can do a lot with it
- Many many extensions to it
- use with nearly any database type

Offline is C ++
- again, easy to use
- good performance (speed) - only if you code well
- more efficient
- scalable - you can again do a lot with it.
- I use it a lot in my job (EA Games - Games System/Platform Engineer)

Mine are not that detailed, as I am tired, I may post better thought out ones later.

Do post comments, and your idea of which is best.

Chris

Chris Z

Reaction score
nice well i am learning PHP and i am actually writing up a script right now (go figure) but i haven't really programmed offline but i would have to say PHP is just awesome since you can include HTTP code in it, and the syntax is just pretty easy to understand...

wow you're a game system/platform engineer at EA Games? that's really cool but does it pay good?

chris218

Reaction score
Yea, its good, but it gets hectic as I own 2 buisnesses aswel! Pays reasonably well yea.

Cynical

Reaction score
Scripting languages aren't the same as programming languages... a scripting language is usually web-based, like JavaScript, ASP, etc., and programming languages are usually distributed in compiled binaries (EXE's), such as C++, Java, etc., but I assume you mean all languages you use to program stuff in. In short, scripting languages must be run by another program, programming languages make programs that run by themselves. PHP is in the middle of the road now because there are a few methods to actually compile PHP-driven EXE's, though I am not sure if they are really compiled or just written into a runner program.

I'm a fan of mostly C++ and PHP, obviously PHP for web-based stuff and C++ for programs and games. I am a bit new to C++, but I love the structure (or lackthereof) of the code. I've tried Delphi and Pascal but since they aren't as popular they are a bit harder to learn. PHP is extremely easy to use and is easier to share (ie. easier to show someone a web page than an EXE).

Last edited:

chris218

Reaction score
Cynical said:
Scripting languages aren't the same as programming languages... a scripting language is usually web-based, like JavaScript, ASP, etc., and programming languages are usually distributed in compiled binaries (EXE's), such as C++, Java, etc., but I assume you mean all languages you use to program stuff in. In short, scripting languages must be run by another program, programming languages make programs that run by themselves. PHP is in the middle of the road now because there are a few methods to actually compile PHP-driven EXE's, though I am not sure if they are really compiled or just written into a runner program.

I'm a fan of mostly C++ and PHP, obviously PHP for web-based stuff and C++ for programs and games. I am a bit new to C++, but I love the structure (or lackthereof) of the code. I've tried Delphi and Pascal but since they aren't as popular they are a bit harder to learn. PHP is extremely easy to use and is easier to share (ie. easier to show someone a web page than an EXE).
yes, sorry, I didn't phrase it quite right.

jensen

Reaction score
PHP is my choice too. It gets better and better with the many helping to develop it. It's also a great learning tool for "programming" in a sense you can see the results almost immediately. No need to compile and run them. Also because PHP is community driven, lots of help from the forums and communites online. In contrast to ASP which require licences, people are not so willing to share.

Offline, I'd go for C, have not upgraded to C++ yet. Since PHP with MySQL running on Apache server gets most of the job done, I've not used C that much these days.

R

roach6390

Online is easy, PHP of course...

For offline, my favorite would be PB. PB stands for "PureBasic" and is probably the easiest progamming language you can learn. It comes with multiple libraries and all windows controls. It can compole to a console, exe, OR shared DLL. The only problem is that it's around $60, but it's worth it.

For game making, I reccomend Game Maker. Easy programming language (GML), and an extremely simple to use GUI. The only problem is it only will run on Windows, as well as it's EXEs.

For free programming in general, I like C++. Nothing beats it!

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
Python seems to be both scripting and programming. You can make both web based scripts and binaries.

It's easy to learn, fun to use, and you get stuff done faster. But since it's an interpreted language, you're giving up some speed.

benryip

Reaction score
Yes, Python would be the best language, in my opinion.

I do research at Oxford, and Python has to be my tool of choice for all the computational studies we do. (Though a lot of our code is done in FORTRAN, which I hate.)

Although you may give up some of the speed, the maintainability and ease of use more than makes up for it. You definitely move faster as a developer as someone who has to change code a lot, even if it does run slower.

Torch

Reaction score
The best server side languages for web aplications in my opinion are PHP, ColdFusion and Lasso. I've also worked with Ruby, PERL/CGI and ASP(X), but in the end I finnaly decided to stick with PHP because of just one reason, and that is that it's most widely supported one by hosting companies.

As for desktop alications, my choice would be Visual Basic. Mostly becuse my dad has been developing in it for almost 10 years.

Last edited:

Sheepoholics

Reaction score
Online-PHP

-free-Opensource
-serverside
-nested html
-dynamic

offline-python
-no semicolons
-ide window
-unix cmd run
-open source
-free
-works on every OS

oab

Reaction score
WOW! im surprised nobody sayed java for online, its nice because you can do stuff instantly without having to refresh the page and it doesnt use as much bandwidth as php. Although PHP does have its ups i believe ajax is the future for web design, its to bad the only language i do know is php.. lol

oh yea and it might be javascript im talking about i cant remember the difference between the two, its been a while since ive programmed or done any web diesign of any kind.