Votes: 0 0.0%
  • d100

• Other- Post

• Total voters

prototypedesign33

Reaction score
Ok, guys, what tabletop game has the best system?

d20-
I know that D&D is sorta the number one for popularity in culture, but I kinda think the system sucks. You have a 5% chance of arbitrarily succeeding or failing, and you have a ton of bloat, and this is for 3.5, which remains a tabletop game, as opposed to 4 which is practically a collectible card game in which you have all the cards.

Lotsa d6 I-
The d6 system is one of my faves. Toss a bunch of d6's and add them up, plus it's free. I like the bonuses for partial advancement, and how the statistics and skills work together. However, I have yet to see a d6 system game without the cumbersome supernatural systems presented in core d6, which is crazy.

Lotsa d6 II-
Shadowrun is my personal favorite for setting, but I can see some flaws for the system, namely that everything's handled the same and there's way too much hit chance in combat. I mean, someone with no gun training can default to stat and hit around half the time, even if they're not combat trained war machines, and cyborgs with wired reflexes and supersoldier training can be punched in the face by a security guard when they try to attack him with a sword. Throwing a lot of six sided dice is hard, and can be terribly mercurial (which, admittedly, in Cyberpunk is sorta what you want sometimes).

Curved Advancement-
Earthdawn is sorta like Shadowrun but 10,000 years earlier, in a more traditional fantasy setting. It uses a step-based system (at least in the 1st Edition which is what I have, and I think the new one is pretty much compatible), so you have a mix of Shadowrun's nice skill-statistic blend but with less randomness. It is, however, a little harder to understand, and the character creation system is more rigid.

d100-
Eclipse Phase is like post-Shadowrun without magic. Post-apocalyptic transhuman horror fun! Admittedly, I generally don't generally do horror, but it's still a cool idea, and I like the thought of having a character with basic stats and then putting him into different bodies, with associated penalties or benefits. However, the d100 system seems overly simple, and there's not really a drawback to taking combat skills (other than burning up points for other skills, but it means that you can't have a high-combat game and stay balanced).