Best way to learn about web design.

tstmuge

Reaction score
I've learned about the basics of Html and made a pretty appealing website just on it, but I know I lack a lot of knowledge on how to make my website function better overall. It's my first website I've ever created without a premade design. I want to learn how to implement Css and possibly Java into my website for better design and functionality. What's the best way for me to learn?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Two of my favourite resources are A List Apart and Smashing Magazine. Both are concerned with the larger aspects of design (the "why") as much as they are with the aesthetics, and cover things from enough different angles that you ought to be able to form some opinions as you learn. True, they do assume a certain basic amount of knowledge going in, but that will come quickly.

To help with that, SmashingMag has a pretty comprehensive list of other good learning resources here. Some are free; some not so much. (Remember that these sites are aimed at the professional community, and that for many of their readers these resources would be an investment in a career, not just a way to create their own site.) Any of them would be worth your while.

jasonolive

Reaction score
Remember that these websites are targeted at the expert group, and that for many of their visitors these sources would be an financial commitment in a profession, not just a way to make their own website. Any of them would be of real value
custom website design

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
No, they're not targeted at "the expert group"; the sites linked on the resources page are from-the-ground-up education. Whether you're willing to pay for the sites that cost may be determined by your professional ambitions, but that's not necessarily the case. (However, the fact that some people are looking for a way to improve their own financial condition through joining the developer/designer ranks means that not all of the education that's available will be free. Just like the fact that some people might find getting to work on time opens opportunities for people willing to provide transportation.) And most of the linked resources are free (as in beer), requiring only a commitment of time.