Boru server time off by one hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

belltown

Reaction score
When I call the PHP date() function to return the current date and time, the value returned is one hour later that the current time. I call
date_default_timezone_set ('America/Los_Angeles') to get the current time in my own time zone.

The same code works on my own server as well as on two other free hosts I've tested it with.

The server used to return the correct time before all the migrations/upgrades, etc. Perhaps Boru's clock is off by one hour or its time zone is configured incorrectly?

belltown

Reaction score
Re: Boru server time off by one hour (STILL NO RESOLUTION)

Nobody responded to this post. I notice that many others seem to have had the same problem, and the response always seems to be that the server time is correct, that all servers are set to US Central time. However, the Boru server at least, as far as the Apache/PHP configuration is concerned, seems to be set to US Eastern time.

Here is a script that illustrates this:

Code:
<?php
if (date_default_timezone_get()) {
    echo 'date_default_timezone_get: ' . date_default_timezone_get() . '<br />';
}
if (ini_get('date.timezone')) {
    echo 'date.timezone: ' . ini_get('date.timezone');
}
echo "<br />TZ= ".getenv ('TZ')
?>

If you run the script at http://bbmap.org/timezone.php you will see that it outputs the following:

Code:
date_default_timezone_get: America/New_York

TZ=
Any way to get this fixed?

belltown

Reaction score

Thread re-opened. This problem still exists with Boru. The server time seems to be one hour later than it really is. Has anyone figured out what is going on here? Is this problem being addressed by anyone? It's been over a month now since I reported this.

belltown

Reaction score

Is anyone looking into this? It seems like I'm not the only one having this problem.

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't know where you've seen that the servers are in central time. The servers are located on the east coast which is eastern time.

dlukin

Reaction score
Yes, and one of your Staff says that it is set to Eastern Standard Time and then showed it is set to Eastern Daylight Time.

The time is one hour off. Period.

belltown

Reaction score
I don't know where you've seen that the servers are in central time. The servers are located on the east coast which is eastern time.

That following was stated by carl6969 (Community Support Team) in this thread

Re: time difference
All the servers are located in the Central Time Zone of the U.S. so that is the time they are using.

I thought the servers were in Chicago, which is in the Central Time. In any case, the time is still off by one hour.

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Last edited:

belltown

Reaction score
When I run the following script, which you can run yourself from http://bbmap.org/phptime.php

Code:
<?php
date_default_timezone_set ('America/Los_Angeles');
echo date ('Y-m-d H:i:s').' America/Los_Angeles<br/>';

date_default_timezone_set ('America/New_York');
echo date ('Y-m-d H:i:s').' America/New_York';
?>

I get a time that is one hour later than the correct time no matter what time zone I'm using.

I'm not disputing that the Linux server's root clock is set to the correct (EDT?) time. However, when Apache/PHP returns a time, there is an error of one hour. I suspect that there is an inconsistency between the time/time zone settings in the Linux server and the Apache/PHP configuration files.

Is it possible to escalate this support request to someone who has the ability to check that out?

This problem has been around since the server migrations took place. It was not a problem before. I can run the same code on my own server and on at least 3 other free hosts I've been playing with. They all return the correct time. Other people have reported the same problem and we seen no closer to a resolution.

Thanks.

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I read that wrong, nevermind. I am going to look into this tommorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.