Brain

Status
Not open for further replies.

dillbertdabomb

Reaction score
the human brain - one of our biggest mussles - and lazest (at times) - why don't they make brain exersises?
I mean surly the human brain should be buff! so any ideas, some americans need it... :fruit::roflwerd:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
dillbertdabomb said:
the human brain - one of our biggest mussles - and lazest (at times) - why don't they make brain exersises?
I mean surly the human brain should be buff! so any ideas, some americans need it... :fruit::roflwerd:

The brain gets its excercise when we think.. and it cant be buff since we lose brain cells every second regardless..

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
The Nintendo DS came out with a "brain" game to help exercise it.
By reading, playing challenging games ( chess, mahjong, etc ) ... it works your brain.

Even cross-word puzzles.

dillbertdabomb

Reaction score
Ds game

They made a game to exesize your brain!?! what next a potty-training game!?! they most be running out of mula $$$$$:drama:

dyfuse

Reaction score
You would suppose that the brain would be "buff" after the endless thoughts, dreams, fantasies ;) , stresses, and everything else that daily life throws at it. Well, apparently not. I've heard from many sources that like 30% of the brain is actually utilised (or maybe even less - don't know the exact value [don't take my word for it!])...so you would expect that most of your brain doesn't do anything but just sit there in your head and make you look intelligent and like a normal human being.:cool:

Researchers and other guys have found this fact out and recommending doing lots of stuff to get that brain back to 'shape'. I mean, there's like memory games, puzzles, and just being creative in some sort of out-of-ordinary way, just to exercise the brain. However, I don't think it's gonna make your brain too much 'buffer'.

I've found doing Sudoku's really get tha brain working (not too good for people who hate staring at numbers - although there isn't many of them)...apparently it's quite big worldwide...Have any of you guys tried a Sudoku before??? :rolleyes:

lambada

Reaction score
I'd have to say that the majority of the time people don't use their brains beyond the basics. What really gets my brain working for me is not games or sudokus but thinking through philosophical problems. Am I alone in this view? Or is there more than just me who does this?

Master Yoda

Reaction score
I'd say playing something like tennis, rugby league or something like that would be the best exercise for your brain.

dyfuse

Reaction score
I'd personal rather play a game than program it...just more exercise....

However, playing a sport, is probably more a workout for your body - muscles, heart, lungs - than your brain...But it still does give your brain a workout - I mean, you have to decide where the ball is...;)

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Koshimi said:
What would be a better exercise for your brain, playing a game or programming a game?

Playing. I tend to like Simulation / Strategy type games. ( Board games like Risk, BattleShip ) or computer like ... um ... :eek4: ... I think my brain went to sleep on me. ( Its only 3:30 in the morning ... )

dyfuse

Reaction score
StarShine said:
Playing. I tend to like Simulation / Strategy type games. ( Board games like Risk, BattleShip ) or computer like ... um ... :eek4: ... I think my brain went to sleep on me. ( Its only 3:30 in the morning ... )

I think that board games really get you thinking and get you to work out your brain :rolleyes: ...like heaps...

Just playing Risk...it gets your brain really tired after a while after a big 'workout'...I mean...Risk games can go on for hours...and they keep ya wide awake, especially if ya play it in the early hours of the morning...(don't ask...:ugh: ...some friends just got 'hooked'...)

dpogary

Reaction score
Lmao!!! right as my GF asked whats inside my brain this post came along in the new post page...:p perfect timming...wait till she finds out theres no brain to worry about :D

dyfuse

Reaction score
Interesting dpogary...Sometimes you just need to give the old ticker a "knock knock" and listen for the hollow yet mellow resonance in the air... ;)

On the topic....maybe, you could say you have a skinny brain and you have to "work it out" by doing "brain exercises"? (maybe if you give your brain a knock after that it'll go "ting"...)

dillbertdabomb

Reaction score
interesting thoughts, i think this made your brains work for a change :)

Last edited:

red one zero

Reaction score
I heard about a study that was done in Japan (or somewhere) on a bunch of elderly people. Apparently they tested them with math and thinking problems of some sort. Then they had them play video games often for a few months, and tested them again afterwards.

The study found that after playing the video games, the elderly people could do the test faster and more accurately than before. I don't have details, but that's the gist of it. Playing video games actually positively exercises your brain.

lambada said:
I'd have to say that the majority of the time people don't use their brains beyond the basics. What really gets my brain working for me is not games or sudokus but thinking through philosophical problems. Am I alone in this view? Or is there more than just me who does this?
But I'm going to have to agree with lambada. I guess just like physical exercise, there are varying degrees of mental exercise (and mental fitness :tongue: ).

dyfuse

Reaction score
Experiments on Old people could be better than any other age group I suppose...if you tried to test...lets say...a group of young people in their 20s...their brains are more active and exercises on their brains may have little visible effect or variation compared to older people.

Plus, the younger people might be more susceptible to flawing the results in not being "stuffed" to do it or being extremely "lazy" (no offense to anyone...I'm still a young-un)

lfnet

Reaction score
Of course there's a good brain excercise! Hmm... maybe "good" isn't the best word.
Its called the Uberman sleep schedule, and it will keep your brain active ~22 hours/day.
So, try it; get a second full time job; spend hours on the net doing puzzles that challenge reasoning, mathmatical and pattern analysis, or Monopoly, if you so desire.

Or you can just try to install Gentoo Linux, using the stage 1 install method, on a laptop with obscure parts and an ATI card. That's worth 30-40 hours of brain excercise, and much building of your patience reserves

Rufio1

Reaction score
There's always something on my mind. I worry about a lot of things, like football practice, if getting my site started up, school (which starts next week for me btw:?(), girls....

I dont know. Is all that worrying good for the brain or bad, because if its good then my brain be crazy buff. lol.

The Nintendo DS Brain Acadamy is suppose to help your brain work better (plus I hear its kinda fun..) Its suppose to make you more aware of things. Like Math, you can solve a problem that much faster, and in English, speak better along with writing better papers. In a sense thats like making your brain buff.

Shadowmonk

Reaction score
"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But, naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

That sums it up pretty nicely I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.