brand new to websites: Kompozer and x10hosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ckaimmer

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm brand new to all of this, so let's just preface this with that statement. I am using Kompozer and have created a basic website that I would like to put up on the internet, hosted by x10hosting. I have registered a domain name at godaddy.com, mtubafootballacademy.org. I have gone to the godaddy account management page and set the domain name's nameservers to be the correct ones for x10hosting (s1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com). I have also gone here (https://x10hosting.com/control/?hosting&modify) and changed the old x10hosting url that I signed up for originally (mtubafootballacademy.x10hosting.com) to be the cleaner and more desirable http://mtubafootballacademy.org.

At this point I'm pretty stuck. In Kompozer there is a "publish" option but it needs the Publishing Server's "Publishing address (e.g.: 'ftp://ftp.myisp.com/myusername')". Where can I get the x10hosting FTP address? Is there a specific folder on the x10 server that I must put my webpage into? The Publish page within Kompozer then asks for a username and password, I assume that's the x10 username and password?

I'm pretty stalled at this point and would really appreciate any help possible.

Thanks,

Chris

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
x10Hosting accounts have a default FTP account.
Use this info for FTP:
Server: mtubafootballacademy.org
Port: 21
Username: cPanel Username
Password: cPanel Password

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
Is there a specific folder on the x10 server that I must put my webpage into?

That folder/directory is called public_html
Make sure that you place your site inside there.

Ckaimmer

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, guys. The help is appreciated but I don't really understand what you're suggesting I do. Should I just bail on mtubafootballacademy.org and keep things simple with mtubafootballacademy.x10hosting.com?

The fields I need to fill in the Kompozer "Publish Page" fields (and my current entries) are:

"Publish"
Site Name: Mtuba Football Academy
Page Title: Mtuba Football Academy
Filename: index.html
Site subdirectory for this page: mtubafootballacademy.x10hosting.com/home/public_html/

"Settings"
Web Site Information - HTTP address of your homepage (e.g. 'http://www.myisp.com/myusername'): http://mtubafootballacademy.org
Publishing Server - Publishing address (e.g.: 'ftp://ftp.myisp.com/myusername'): ftp://ftp.mtubafootballacademy.x10hosting.com/
username: Cpanel user
password: Cpanel pw

This hasn't been working. Don't know if its something stupid I'm doing or what. Nowhere does it ask for a port number. Sorry, I really am brand new to this so if you could give a detailed explanation of what I might try that would be great...please assume I know nothing.

Thanks,

Chris

Ckaimmer

Reaction score
Yes, that's correct. I would like for whatever I upload to x10hosting to be seen as the webpages at mtubafootballacademy.org. I went and checked the nameservers at godaddy (where I registered my domain name for mfa.org) and they are now correct. So now there should be a link between the godaddy domain name and x10hosting.

It's the rest of the FTP process that is confusing the heck out of me. Must I set up a "FTP account" within c panel? If anybody has any ideas for what to put in those Kompozer fields it would be really helpful...or just a step by step for what to do from here on out.

Chris

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
You have a default FTP account for uploading .But did you park your domain ?

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
To answer another question of yours, Dead Battery gave you the server address to put in your configuration for Publishing Server: mtubafootballacademy.org

gomarc

Reaction score
Hi Ckaimmer,

From the main menu of KompoZer select:

Edit > Publishing Sites Settings (the option at the bottom)

And verify these settings: (Or create new site if necessary)

2i093pj.jpg

Once you are ready to publish, check your options for:

24e6vqc.jpg

Please notice the site subdirectory for this page and the images

I just tested similar settings on my site and worked just fine.

Ckaimmer

Reaction score
Thanks for the help gomarc. Entered all those settings, and now I get the following:

"Alert: 553 Can't opent hat file; No such file or directory."

Do I need to create some files in my cPanel to receive FTP transfers from Kompozer?

Ckaimmer

Reaction score
Do I need to go into cPanel file manager and pull these transferred files into a different folder that actually displays the pages on the internet?

Now Kompozer says the pages are publishing successfully but I am not seeing anything in public_html.

Ckaimmer

Reaction score
I've been trying to publish a test page from Kompozer.

It works fine to put the publish the page to my primary domain mtubafootballacademy.x10hosting.com, under my first x10hosting account, cPanel name ckaimmer. that is totally smooth.

When I try to publish the same page to my primary domain on a different x10hosting account (cPanel chriskai) mtubafootballacademy.org, I am now getting the following "530 Login authentication failed" when I try to publish from Kompozer. I use exactly the same settings as before, but obviously change the username and password to reflect this cPanel account.

When I go to mtubafootballacademy.org I see the following:

Index of /

cgi-bin/
images/
postinfo.html

Anybody else have thoughts here?

jhowmar

Reaction score
I've been trying to publish a test page from Kompozer.

It works fine to put the publish the page to my primary domain mtubafootballacademy.x10hosting.com, under my first x10hosting account, cPanel name ckaimmer. that is totally smooth.

When I try to publish the same page to my primary domain on a different x10hosting account (cPanel chriskai) mtubafootballacademy.org, I am now getting the following "530 Login authentication failed" when I try to publish from Kompozer. I use exactly the same settings as before, but obviously change the username and password to reflect this cPanel account.

I am a newbie to this as well I am having some issues gettin X10 to change my main domain back to my godaddy .org domain. but from what it seems and from what i heard from godaddy is once the nameservers are linked to x10 you should have hosting access from here... so long story but sounds like you may have the wrong PW / username when you try to publish

When I go to mtubafootballacademy.org I see the following:

Index of /

cgi-bin/
images/
postinfo.html

Anybody else have thoughts here?

for this you need to make sure your webpage is called index.html when you upload it to the public_html folder in order to see your webpage as the main page when you go to the site... not sure if it is a retarted answer but it's what i got

Status
Not open for further replies.