Building a New PC

magfersile

Reaction score

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
If you're not on a budget I would personally go with Intel. I don't see any compatibility issues just yet, but just make sure you can install everything properly into that case. I've dealt with some odd form factors that were a hassle to work with

Daniel S

Reaction score
I cannot see any compatibility issues either I think you should stick with AMD the price seems quite cheap and reasonable for the specifications you have listed.

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
I would say Intel here. I spose its a matter of personal choice though. I cant see anything wrong with the system, looks like a good system for that price actually. Only thing I would say is unless you plan on doing any overclocking you probably wont need all those watts on your PSU. Theres a calculator you can use to work it out:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

Alex

magfersile

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I'll post again when I get it built and up and running, and let you know how everything works.

Last edited:

Hazirak

Reaction score
Looks pretty good for the most part. If it doesn't end up working when you try to do something graphics-intensive though, get a power supply that can deliver more amperage over the +12V rail - if memory serves, one 8800GT calls for a minimum of 26 amps for it and the rest of the system (add 10 for two cards in SLi mode). Unless I'm missing something, the power supply you picked out has a +12V rail only rated for 21 amps.

Wattage is important, but in a gaming rig, that +12V rail is just as important if nor more so than the wattage rating.

Last edited:

CruveniumGX4

Reaction score
Hmm, imo, 8800GT is a old card. You could prolly go with 9600GT(budget) or 9800GTX(high end) or 9800GX2(bragging rights).

intertec

Reaction score
You should go for intel quad and did you forget about a motherboard!

Daniel S

Reaction score
You should go for intel quad and did you forget about a motherboard!

Yes don't forget about the motherboard!! Remember it depends on which motherboard you get to what processor is compatible. I still dissagree and think you should go for an AMD processor.

Last edited:

magfersile

Reaction score
Ok, I've done some more research and I've come up with this for the power supply:http://3btech.net/lo650wa24pin.html
It comes with dual 12V rails, each putting out 22Amps
(not real sure what that means)
But I believe that would be enough, right? (44Amps total?)
I've also set my sights on this video card (thanks to cruveniumgx4)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...4&Sku=P450-9610&SRCCODE=PWATCH&CMP=OTC-PWATCH
which has a 12V 26Amp requirement, and if my math is right, 26A + 10A is less than 44A.
So with the proposed changes, how does the system look?

(btw, the motherboard and CPU come together in a bundle, so I haven't forgotten the motherboard)
New Total Price $680
And as far as the quad core, I don't think I can find a better deal than what I've got now with my dual core for $140. If you can find a cheaper quad core set up, let me know;)

Last edited:

Hazirak

Reaction score
Ok, I've done some more research and I've come up with this for the power supply:http://3btech.net/lo650wa24pin.html
It basically means there are two separate +12V rails that can each individually provide up to 22 amps. You have to be careful if the power supply doesn't balance the load between the two rails, though - each cable only goes to one of them, so you can easily put too much stress on one rail while the other sits there doing almost nothing. Usually this just makes your PC reboot, and you can fix it by plugging a different PCIe cable into your video card... but it's still an annoyance. It's usually easier (and sometimes cheaper) to just get a supply with a single large rail, but having multiple rails is supposed to cut down on electrical noise over the cables. It mostly comes down to personal preference, honestly.

It should be enough, but you won't be getting 44 amps over the two rails combined. The weird thing with power supplies containing more than one +12V rail is that, as in your case, 22 + 22 does not equal 44. For example, mine has two 19 amp rails, but the two of them combined can only deliver 34 amps as opposed to 38 like you would think. You'd have to check the sticker on your power supply when you get it, unless it says somewhere on the page and I just can't see it.

Hazirak

Reaction score
That would would be easier to install than the other one just because you don't have to worry about overloading any of the rails - it's only got one, and that one should provide all the juice you need and then some.

Corsair is also supposed to make some good quality power supplies from what I hear. I can't say from experience though, I've never used one.

magfersile

Reaction score
Well, I ordered all my parts this week, and I hope to have it built by Mon/Tue of next week. After tax and shipping I ended up spending $720. I let you guys know how it performs.

kennbona

Reaction score
i can only comment on 2 things...
1. That 9600 is a good card, i guarantee it. I own an EVGA 9600GT 512Mb very similar.. Outstanding performance on a budget. I can run Assassins creed Maxed out with AAx4 Enabled and its as smooth as butter.

2. AMD are lacking behind.. i suggest u spend a bit more and get an intel C2D. I have an intel Pentium D 945 3.4Ghz OC to 3.6Ghz and ive seen benchmarks when compared to AMD's and other Intels.. well, my CPU keeps up with some of the AMDx2 processors even though its older. below is a benchmark i found for that AMD ur planning on buying

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+64+X2+Dual+Core+4400+

have a look at it, it's nearly at the bottom of the list.. note the higher scores the other intel C2D CPU's get. Even my Pentium D 3.4Ghz outperforms that AMD processor.. Just food for taught here.

jakjack1

Reaction score
I've also set my sights on this video card (thanks to cruveniumgx4)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...4&Sku=P450-9610&SRCCODE=PWATCH&CMP=OTC-PWATCH
which has a 12V 26Amp requirement, and if my math is right, 26A + 10A is less than 44A.
So with the proposed changes, how does the system look?

(btw, the motherboard and CPU come together in a bundle, so I haven't forgotten the motherboard)
New Total Price $680
And as far as the quad core, I don't think I can find a better deal than what I've got now with my dual core for $140. If you can find a cheaper quad core set up, let me know;)

Wow thats look great ..Im looking into this know myslef ;) great find. with the price and specs i would highly reccomed this!

DragonMaster

Reaction score
You should have waited a week or so, you can now get ATI's Radeon 4800 cards.

They beat a few more expensive nVidia 9000-series cards.

PS. An Athlon X2 4400 was "the thing" in 2005-2006. It's still good for many things, but lacking behind the Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad and AMD Phenom X3 and X4. Sadly your motherboard doesn't work the Phenom.

Sohail

Reaction score
Just remember RAM is more important than CPU speed and make sure you get lots of hard disk space, unless you want to go out and buy one of those external 1TB hard drives (they're too expensive for me though ;)).

magfersile

Reaction score
Well, my new PC has been up and running now for about a week. With 4gb of RAM and SLI enabled, I am pleased :biggrin: . The only game that I've been able to test it on is CoD4 Demo. Which was awesomely smooth with every graphic setting at max. This weekend I will be renewing my subscription to Age of Conan and I can't wait to see how it looks.