Can anyone help me solve this linear programming question?

jeena1

Reaction score
Hello,

A stationery company makes two types of notebooks: a deluxe notebook with subject dividers, which sells for $1.25, and a regular notebook which sells for $0.90. The production cost is $1.00 for each deluxe notebook and $0.75 for each regular notebook. The company has the facilities to manufacture between 2000 and 3000 deluxe and between 3000 and 6000 regular notebooks, but not more than 7000 altogether. How many notebook of each type should be manufactured to maximize the difference between the selling prices and the production cost?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't have time to completely do this right now, but these problems are generally solved by finding an intersection point between two functions, profit = item1*markup + item2*markup and item1 = 7000 - item2. You want to sell the most deluxe possible, because you make more profit.

I'll try to look at this again when I get a second at work :)

good luck!
Edit:
ok, maybe someone can double check this, but this is how I see it:

you make the most profit by selling deluxe, so we make 3000 and then 4000 regular because it makes no sense to make less than the maximum possible. The profit is 15 cents per regular and 25 per deluxe so the profit is $1350.

Last edited: