Can Anyone Recommend a Good BBS script?

harp21649

Prime Account
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good free bbs script? I'm looking for just a simple look where users have to register to post, comments allowed, user participation in flagging inappropriate posts, can add maybe one banner ad at the top and is like the old, first bbs's that came out. Simply a page on posts, it's going to be a local event, news, etc kind of thing with only one category that is the local city.

Any help would be great, I've been looking but have only found the more common forum scripts and I don't want all the addons... lol, I may be showing my ignorance and it might simply boil down to choosing a simple template for the script.. But if that is the case just point me in the direction of the simplest to use starting out as a newbie.

Regards, Bill

harp21649

Prime Account
Reaction score
Thank you for the answer edyel190, I can set that up with the tools in cPanel. I will read the documentation and go to their website and read before I install it.

Regards, Bill

dstravelwriter51

Reaction score
If you don't require registration (which, from the article, I know you do, but just what-if), there is an awesome script out there for BBS sites known as "Kareha/Wakaba" (it's either Kareha or Wakaba, it refers to two scripts that do pretty much the same and can be gotten from the same download repo and both are Public Domain FOSS).

Kareha is a message and image board script with CAPTCHA and anti-spam and allows anonymous posting. It also has mutliple threads in a threadlist, and an admin panel for easy deletion of nonsense postings.

Wakaba is a message and image board script, also with CAPTCHA, anti-spam, and an admin panel; it just doesn't come with a threadlist. It does, however, have Oekaki capabilities, although you'll have to install these things separately (Oekaki is a Japanese painting with computers-type philosophy).

Have fun! See what works! And remember: Life gets better. Blessed be.

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
PunBB seems to be a what you are looking for .

harp21649

Prime Account
Reaction score
thanks for the replies, I will check them out using wamp and see how they work.