can I access mysql remotely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhorace

Reaction score
I notice remote access in Cpanel where you can define what host can connect to MySQL. I have a VPS account and I would like to remotely access my database, is that possible? I haven't found a reliable thread to elaborate this question in detail =] Thanks

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
On a VPS, yes.

All you'd have to do is make sure the firewall accepts incoming connections on the mysql port. And add the IP you will be connecting from in the remote hosts table in cPanel.

Ps. thread moved to VPS talk as this does not concern our free shared hosting.

lhorace

Reaction score
I wanted to access my x10hosting free website database remotely, not access my MySQL server on my VPS remotely =]

From my VPS, I wanted to access my website database on starka, to get some queries? :\ if it's all possible?

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

I guess my answer was answered

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
There's an addon you explained which changes things a bit; you can't access starkas mysql remotely, but your vps is a different issue. If you want to access the VPS's data remotely you can. The free servers block the mysql port by default in the firewall though, so even if you allow it in cpanel on the free account it won't actually make it to the server :(

lhorace

Reaction score
That's unfortunate, I'm going to have to find another solution. Thanks allot =]

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Random question/idea.

Can you move the free hosting databases to the VPS, and have the free hosting account contact the VPS MySQL remotely instead of the other way around?

Assuming that'd work, then the VPS would have -direct- access to what's on the free hosting account. From what I understand as well, remote mysql is blocked on free but only on inbound - an outgoing connection to the VPS shouldn't get blocked, if I read it right.

It's an idea but I would HIGHLY recommend backing up the databases first, just in case it epic-fails. It's an idea to think about though :)

lhorace

Reaction score
Yeah, one of my Admins came up with that idea already but we're still deliberating on SQL Server software atm... Thanks for the suggestion ;)

---------- Post added 02-01-2011 at 02:24 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-31-2011 at 04:18 PM ----------

This forum can be closed

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't close the entire forum but I can close the thread :)

Closing at customer request.

Status
Not open for further replies.