can i haz shell access pretty please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grant.c.stone19

Reaction score
So, upon opening a terminal on my computer (Linux-based), I type "ssh ihazroot.x10.mx" and it asks me to enter the password for grant@ihazroot.x10.mx - when my username is grantman... but if I enter "ssh grantman@ihazroot.x10.mx" it works like it should. Why does it assume my user is "grant"? Usually if I just type "ssh website.com" it asks what user to sign in with. Anyways, that's not the main issue. After logging in finally I'm greeted with "Shell access is not enabled on your account! If you need shell access please contact support." Well, here I am contacting support. So can I haz shell access pretty plz?! I do a majority of my editing in TTY1 with nano and/or vi(vim) and upload by sftp or psftp CLI commands (and all other server access is by "ssh" command). I'd love to be able to do everything via command line like I'm accustomed to. Thanks. :)

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Shell is only available on premium, or VPS, services.

grant.c.stone19

Reaction score
Aw really? :(
Why isn't that just said plain and clear then? Instead of making someone they can just ask support?

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Where did you get the idea that shell access would be allowed if you asked?

grant.c.stone19

Reaction score
Where did you get the idea that shell access would be allowed if you asked?
Because the first thing I tried to do once my account was set up was access it via SSH. Upon entering the shell with "ssh grantman@ihazroot.x10.mx", I was greeted with "Shell access is not enabled on your account! If you need shell access please contact support." - like I stated above. The statement "if you need shell access please contact support" makes it seem pretty clear to contact support if you need shell access. It shouldn't say to contact support to get shell access if that's not how it goes; should be something more like "Shell access is not enabled on your account! If you need shell access please upgrade your account." And for all I know, it could have been stated somewhere in small print when I was signing up - but it still seems as though the wording should be changed. That's all I'm saying.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I believe that message might be hard coded in to the SSH daemon.

grant.c.stone19

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.