Cannot find .htaccess file even after clicking "show hidden files"

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexmars

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am trying to find the .htaccess file in order to disable caching so that I can refreash my files faster (doing a project for school that requires me to view changed files quickly). I already did the walk through as far as clicking on switch theme, resetting interface settings, then "showing hidden files". I still cant see the .htaccess file. Are there some permission settings I need changed?

Also, i saw a post here, https://x10hosting.com/community/threads/how-long-to-refresh-cached-file.194669/ that explains how to disable caching. Is this the proper way to do it? do I simply add in the line of code (Header set Cache-Control "max-age=0, private, no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate") to the htaccess file?

Thanks!!!

divaidee

Reaction score
I think there's no default .htaccess file. To test this, i created a new one (with the content "#empty" which means the file has no content) and uploaded it into the main directory. It appeared, and my website worked just fine.

As for the cache control, i think the line from the post that you linked is ok.

alexmars

Reaction score
ok. that sounds good. Is there any method you recommend to create the .htaccess file?

divaidee

Reaction score
Use your editor (i suppose you have one). If you don't have a html/php editor, i recomment
notepad++. Write the line from above and safe as .htaccess (not as .htaccess.txt!)

Status
Not open for further replies.