can't do "save image as"

tesyoo

Reaction score
i try to make a site, but i dont want the people to save the images.
Here the what i try to make.

The images will be listed from a xml is that possible?
When click on those images it will became bigger.
Something like that
http://www.landfallnavigation.com/memss.html
The image can be save by right click but i dont it to be like that. Once click on the small image it became big then doesn't matter left or right click it will became small again. i think this have to do with the javascript.

Any idea?

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
Any image that can be viewed can be saved. Right now, pretending I couldn't right click the bigger version, I can right click the smaller version and open it in a new tab. If I couldn't do that, I would look at the page's HTML and get the image's address. I could also get the the image directly from my browser's cache.

deepak.as79

Reaction score
i think there is no way to prevent image saving from a website. because when we use internet browser like opera all images and other contents will be automatically saved on cache folder.

Last edited:

Scoochi2

Reaction score
HTML is an open source language. Anything you can see, you can see the source for. Anything you see, you can copy.
Even if there was a way of completely stopping somebody from stealing an image, they could always view it on the site and simply use the 'print screen' key on their keyboard, which will copy it *and everything else on their screen* into their clipboard.

However, if you are really determined to make it difficult for people to steal an image, try cutting it up into four, then laying them out to look like a single image. Thus if someone does save a copy, they only get a 1/4 of it before realising. Then they'll have to come back and save the other 3 before piecing them together and saving the final image...
Example:
out.php
out.php
out.php
out.php

onyxmoron

Reaction score
If someone wants to save an image, they will. Even if there were a way to literally make it impossible to do that (which there isn't), a person can just push the "print screen" button on their keyboard to paste a screenshot it into a graphics program and crop out the image they want. (And if they really want the image they'll do it. ;) )

It's understandable that you don't want people "stealing" your images, but anything you might do to make them unsavable will be a very annoying to at least some of your visitors. That's especially important if you're selling something, because annoying your visitors is a great way to lose sales. And it will happen.

Most importantly, like diabolo said, disabling right-click is a death sentence. If you were to do that, your website would be unusable to many people. I use right click all the time and if I right click on a website and get some alert message accusing me of being a "thief" I'm gone. :mad:

My advice would be to stop worrying about people saving your images. The only way to prevent someone from saving an image is to not post it in the first place. :biggrin:

xPlozion

Reaction score
your best bet is to watermark them. don't make it so it's annoying and in the way, but have it at 10% white in a corner with either your site's name, logo, name and logo, or url.

tesyoo

Reaction score
I seem like every one is focus on the right click and forgot about my another question about xml. If you know a any site that have tutorial to list images from a xml , plz post the url.
Also the tutorial of javascript that make the image pop up which i wouldn't disable the right click. I would also like a url for the javascript.
Thanks for all the above advice.