cant get native resolution

mjserv

Reaction score
I have a 9500 GT and a Sceptre X22WG-1080p 16:10 with a high resolution of 1680 x 1050.I am using a DVI to DVI cable, the same I used with Vista. When I set the resolution to 1680 x 1050, which I can do through Windows 7 settings, the screen shrinks and is bordered by black bars on either side.I have the most up-to-date from NVIDIA however this does not correct the problem.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

ah-blabla

Reaction score
Hit your computer with a sledgehammer? Shout at M$? Cry?

The other trick is to try deinstalling and reinstalling drivers to see if that helps. That usually worked back when I used to use Windows. Also try using the same driver you used under Vista.

As and aside: Supposedly GNU/Linux systems are hard to set up with widescreen displays, but I have a 16:10 Monitor which worked fine from minute 1 - seems M$ have been a little too determined to catch up on GNU/Linux, and have broken their so-called "ease of use" even though set up is the only thing that ever was easier.

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I have a 9500 GT and a Sceptre X22WG-1080p 16:10 with a high resolution of 1680 x 1050.I am using a DVI to DVI cable, the same I used with Vista. When I set the resolution to 1680 x 1050, which I can do through Windows 7 settings, the screen shrinks and is bordered by black bars on either side.I have the most up-to-date from NVIDIA however this does not correct the problem.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Which version of windows 7 you are using. Is it final version or RTM or RC ?, Because till RC some systems shown this behavior.

steronius

Reaction score
2 possibilities I can think of:
#1. I have seen the NVidia settings have a stretch-to-screen or similar setting (nvidia task tray icon)
#2. the screen hardware (OSD) settings may have the same.

nugames

Reaction score
Eh, have you tried pressing the Auto Adjust button on your monitor?

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
Auto-adjust is a feature for VGA connections. Because VGA is an analog signal, the image constraints and some of the signal frequencies vary slightly from source to source. DVI, being a digital signal, does not have these inconsistencies (or at least, can define them for the display device), and thusly, does not require use of the auto-adjust feature (it essentially happens transparently).

Anyway, mjserv, try looking in the display's built-in configuration menus for display mode settings like "letterbox" or something that might cause the display to shrink the picture. Being a DVI signal, it's unlikely (although not impossible) that Windows 7 is to blame. You can also try resetting the display's settings through its configuration.

Has this display been known to work correctly at 1680x1050 on any other computers/operating systems?

Also, am I the only one who finds it extremely confusing that the display's model number contains the string "1080P" when it doesn't display at a resolution (or even an aspect ratio) anything close to 1080p?

--- Mr. DOS

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Also, am I the only one who finds it extremely confusing that the display's model number contains the string "1080P" when it doesn't display at a resolution (or even an aspect ratio) anything close to 1080p?

--- Mr. DOS

I don't find it confusing at all. I just find it very annoying when I come across monitors saying they run at 1080p and when I checked, they're either running in a 16:10 image (true of the monitor's vertical pixel count is greater than 1080) or they're running at something like 1650x1050, which is almost 1080p.

tridge

Reaction score
I actually learned a few things in this thread, neat. No solution though.

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
ah-blabla said:
As and aside: Supposedly GNU/Linux systems are hard to set up with widescreen displays, but I have a 16:10 Monitor which worked fine from minute 1 - seems M$ have been a little too determined to catch up on GNU/Linux, and have broken their so-called "ease of use" even though set up is the only thing that ever was easier.
Missed this first time through the thread. With modern Xorg drivers, this isn't a problem at all. The myth originated back when Linux graphics were pretty much entirely framebuffer-based; while it's an almost universally-compatible solution, it's very slow, and extremely difficult to use with widescreen (for fun, Google "linux console framebuffer widescreen" some time).

--- Mr. DOS