Can't Install Wordpress HELP!!!

thevancouverguy

Reaction score
I followed every step possible. Downloaded 2.9, unzipped it.

Changed wp-config-sample.php to wp-config.php

Created a database call wordpress

created a user call admin

modified wp-config.php with
myusername_wordpress
myusername_admin
password

Did all that stuff wit hthe key and all that BEEP.

uploaded everything with filezilla.

I have watched videos and read numerous tutorials, they all say the samething and I did the samething.

mydomain.x10hosting.com/blog/wp-admin/install.php

why I get a message saying this:

Error establishing a database connection
This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can't contact the database server at localhost. This could mean your host's database server is down.

Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
Are you sure that the database server is running?
If you're unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your host. If you still need help you can always visit the WordPress Support Forums.

There is nothing I'm doing wrong unless x10hosting.com doesn't support wordpress 2.9. I renamed the wordpress folder to blog and uploaded to public_html.

Last edited:

ajayesh

Reaction score
You need to change the DB connection parameters. localhost isn't the DB name at the webhost. You need to change all the DB parameters in the config file to allow WP to connect to your online database.

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi thevancouverguy,

Once you created the database username(myusername_admin) did you attached it to database(myusername_wordpress) with all the privileges.

Try above one if not working try this

One more thing to advice is to reduce the database name and username to 2 or 3 letter word like

Username : myusername_wp
Database : myusername_wp

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Don't try to install it manually. You can easily install it by using Softaculous. If you want to install manually then post it here. I'll tell you step by step

Awesomexr

Reaction score
I believe your host is wrong, change your host from "localhost" to "mysql-SERVERNAME.x10hosting.com"

Change servername to your server (i.e stoli).

Last edited:

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
No localhost is right. localhost means the same server in where you have uploaded your wordpress directory. It will always be localhost. In very rare case when we have files on other server but want to install in other server we change localhost.
Edit:
I'm gonna tell you step by step.
Suppose your website url is www.website.com.

Step 1 : Upload all files in your server. Suppose you have uploaded all of them at root/blog.
Step 2: Create one database. For that you have to go to mySQL database and then in new database field you have to type the name of database and then click on create new database.
Step 3: Note down the name of database. Remember the name you have given in the step 2 is not your database name. The actual database name is displaced there. Usually your user name.database name
Step 4: Create new user in that database. This time also the username of your user will be different. Note it down. Note down password too. Password remain the same as what you have given.
Step 5: Go to phpmyadmin and give all privilege to user.
Step 6: Open your browser and type the address www.website.com/blog/
Step 7: Click on create a configuration file
Step 8: Click on Let's go
Step 9: In database name replace wordpress by your database name which you have noted earlier.
similarly do with username and password. don't change database host and table prefix.
Step 10: Click Submit
Step 11: Run Install Now
Step 12: Give your blog title and your email and cliick on Install Wordpress
Step 13: Click on Login
Step 14: Note down username and password generated by wordpress
Step 15: Now change your username and password, and stop reading my post and give me reputation.

Last edited:

thevancouverguy

Reaction score
No localhost is right. localhost means the same server in where you have uploaded your wordpress directory. It will always be localhost. In very rare case when we have files on other server but want to install in other server we change localhost.
Edit:
I'm gonna tell you step by step.
Suppose your website url is www.website.com.

Step 1 : Upload all files in your server. Suppose you have uploaded all of them at root/blog.
Step 2: Create one database. For that you have to go to mySQL database and then in new database field you have to type the name of database and then click on create new database.
Step 3: Note down the name of database. Remember the name you have given in the step 2 is not your database name. The actual database name is displaced there. Usually your user name.database name
Step 4: Create new user in that database. This time also the username of your user will be different. Note it down. Note down password too. Password remain the same as what you have given.
Step 5: Go to phpmyadmin and give all privilege to user.
Step 6: Open your browser and type the address www.website.com/blog/
Step 7: Click on create a configuration file
Step 8: Click on Let's go
Step 9: In database name replace wordpress by your database name which you have noted earlier.
similarly do with username and password. don't change database host and table prefix.
Step 10: Click Submit
Step 11: Run Install Now
Step 12: Give your blog title and your email and cliick on Install Wordpress
Step 13: Click on Login
Step 14: Note down username and password generated by wordpress
Step 15: Now change your username and password, and stop reading my post and give me reputation.

I don't know what to do when I get to Step 5: Go to phpmyadmin and give all privilege to user.
I don't know what to do in this step. I thought I already gave privilege in MySQL Database.

kaveighty2

Reaction score
What I did to install wordpress is this.

1. upload install files to public_folder

2. in cPanel, click on the MySQL Wizard.
3. select a database name > next
4. select user and pass > next
5. grant all privelages > ok

6. Goto your domain.x10hosting.com

7. Insert details into wordpress install

Done

PS: I don't think wordpress like it if you name things wordpress, like the database for example. I think it might cause errors. Don't quote me on it tho.. :)

Last edited:

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't know what to do when I get to Step 5: Go to phpmyadmin and give all privilege to user.
I don't know what to do in this step. I thought I already gave privilege in MySQL Database.

Yes you can skip this step as already given privileges

Now you can continue with the steps

Last edited:

thevancouverguy

Reaction score
What I did to install wordpress is this.

1. upload install files to public_folder

2. in cPanel, click on the MySQL Wizard.
3. select a database name > next
4. select user and pass > next
5. grant all privelages > ok

6. Goto your domain.x10hosting.com

7. Insert details into wordpress install

Done

PS: I don't think wordpress like it if you name things wordpress, like the database for example. I think it might cause errors. Don't quote me on it tho.. :)

Thanks. That's what I did. I went to MySQL Database Wizard instead of MySQL Database and now everything works! After I did that it gave me the host name. I changed localhost to mysql-cossacks.x10hosting.com. It was the DB_HOST 'localhost' that was wrong all this time.

My blog http://www.TheVancouverGuy.com is up and running!

Last edited: